conduit to tray grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesc

i am seeking clarification on code requirements concerning a bonding wire from conduits entering steel cable tray. if and when is a separate bond wire required? :confused:

friebel

Re: conduit to tray grounding

To: jamesc, I am not sure of what you are asking with your question.
Let me give an example: You are running a cable to a motor in the cable tray. The cable will have three wires for the three-phase motor, also there will be four wires for the control-circuit, they will generally be # 14 AWG of which you will use three of the control wires for the button. Also there will be a wire in the cable that you will use for your ground continuity from the motor starter and to the motor boot.
Now, when the cable exits the cable-tray, you will install the cable in a conduit, and there are approved listed fitings that will connect the conduit to the tray and you will also have the conduit bonded to the cable tray. The wire that you designate as a ground in your cable, will be connected inside of the motor boot, in an approved method.
This is the way that I would connect my ground wire and also do the bonding of the conduit to the cable-tray, which is also grounded.

izak

you should always bond a conduit to the tray it is leaving....
i would guess you would size your jumper using 250.122 according to the rating of the largest overcurrent protection feeding cable(s) in that raceway

izak

you should always bond a conduit to the tray it is leaving....
i would guess you would size your jumper using 250.122 according to the rating of the largest overcurrent protection feeding cable(s) in that raceway

Status
Not open for further replies.