Conduit Sleeve Lengths

Status
Not open for further replies.

superki

Is there a maximum length for a conduit sleeve? I am trying to figure out if what I need to install is considered a sleeve or a conduit run for telecommunication cables. I have a distance of 25' that I need to get across that has a hard ceiling. I could not find anything in the 2014 NEC book.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
As mentioned earlier NEC does not distinguish between sleeve and a conduit. However, some AHJ may count a full stick of conduit a sleeve (as long as it does not terminate into boxes).

Ask your AHJ.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
is that in the code somewhere?

how about a piece of emt used to route conductors out of a cable tray? is that conduit? is it a sleeve? a raceway?
In my opinion, that is a conduit system and not a sleeve.
This is not really in the code as far as I know.

kwired

Electron manager
[h=2]300.12Mechanical Continuity ? Raceways and Cables.[/h]Metal or nonmetallic raceways, cable armors, and cable sheaths shall be continuous between cabinets, boxes, fittings, or other enclosures or outlets.

If it is not continuous between cabinets, boxes, fittings, etc it is a sleeve and not a raceway.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
300.12Mechanical Continuity ? Raceways and Cables.

Metal or nonmetallic raceways, cable armors, and cable sheaths shall be continuous between cabinets, boxes, fittings, or other enclosures or outlets.

If it is not continuous between cabinets, boxes, fittings, etc it is a sleeve and not a raceway.

IMO 300.12 does not distinguish between raceway or sleeve, it just requires the raceways to be mechanically continuous. If it is not mechanically continuous then it is an installation violation. Not necessarily a raceway or sleeve issue.

kwired

Electron manager
IMO 300.12 does not distinguish between raceway or sleeve, it just requires the raceways to be mechanically continuous. If it is not mechanically continuous then it is an installation violation. Not necessarily a raceway or sleeve issue.

You are correct, but if it is not mechanically continuous it is one step in the wrong direction for raceway usage. A raceway "system" must be complete. A sleeve is for physical protection only and the wiring method being protected needs to be one that is a "stand alone" wiring method. You can "sleeve" a piece of NM cable with a material that is listed for use as a raceway to provide additional physical protection where necessary. You however can not "sleeve" a group of THHN/THWN conductors in a similar manner - those must be installed in approved raceways or wireways, and they must be complete between enclosures - with limited exceptions.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Not sure what the op is trying to accomplish. Are you concerned that a long sleeve is not allowed? or are you thinking fill capacity? etc

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

If I instill a few lengths of conduit from a cable tray with a bushing at each end that is a complete system is it not?

My opinion of a complete raceway is one that is terminated at an enclosure at each end. If it is connected to the cable tray and connected to an enclosure at the other end, I would see it as a complete system. If it is connected at the tray, but not to an enclosure at the other end, I would see it as a sleeve.
Just my opinion and no code other than 300.12 to back up my opinion.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
My opinion of a complete raceway is one that is terminated at an enclosure at each end. If it is connected to the cable tray and connected to an enclosure at the other end, I would see it as a complete system. If it is connected at the tray, but not to an enclosure at the other end, I would see it as a sleeve.
Just my opinion and no code other than 300.12 to back up my opinion.

What about parallel service conductors that enter an MCC with no bottom? Just messing with you :D

kwired

Electron manager
Sorry Bob, I don't know a lot about cable trays. Assuming what was proposed is allowed - it has to be permitted someplace else (ike in art 392 somewhere) instead of being an exception to the general rule. I kind of looked a little through 392 but did not find what I was looking for, but maybe it is there and I am not quite understanding it as well since I am not so familiar with cable trays. Maybe calling it an exception was the wrong thing to do, even though it essentially is an exception to the general rule.

I was also looking for sleeve length but could not find it,
in my state NMB is allowed to be sleeved or in nipples in vertical runs outside (yes I know this is a wet location) but i haven't found the maximum length my location Oregon, my reference: statewide alternate method 08-03.

Status
Not open for further replies.