Conduit run time

Status
Not open for further replies.

buzzer1

What is the rule of thumb when you estimate time for running conduit?

How much time do you add for pulling wire?

How much time do you add for terminating?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: Conduit run time

There are way to many variables to answer your questions.

Roger

[ May 25, 2005, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

highkvoltage

What size conduit? What is the location? Are they in lifts or on ladders? Above a ceiling or no ceiling? There are many varibles to this question. If it a straight run or has only a few bends no ceiling tiles or suspended cieling framing and your hanging on purlins using caddy's straps or B-line (which ever you prefer) 1/2" and 3/4" emt about 100'an hour.

mdshunk

If you're running pvc coated RMC in larger sizes with bends and offsets, you'd be lucky to get 100 feet a day up. There's at least 6 pages of "variables" in my one labor guide for conduit installation.

william runkle

I will try to give you an idea of timing the first piece of conduit and that is any of the pipes will be the longest of time to install due to the fact it will likely need an offset and I notice on most of the pipe jobs I do it will need at least 90 degree bend. So with that in mind expect an hour and a half for 10 feet of two inch E.M.T. remember your fittings connectors need bushings and support clamp within 10 feet of the box. After that you probably speed right along with a stick an hour if you are doing this job alone and using a ladder back and forth. It could speed up with another helper. I have done a job of 1/2 inch E.M.T. by myself and had a crew of two running !/2 inch E.M.T. that I was bending for and feeding and kept up so what I am saying is your time with a helper could cost more time but usually it is in less time.

william runkle

for pulling wire figure a fourth of the time it took to run the conduit if it takes you eight hours to run pipe then two hours to pull wire remember that also includes set-up and fihing the tape fo rope pull. if large wire 1/0 and larger figure 1 to 2 hours small wires size #12 figure 15 minutes. I hope this gives you the answers you are looking for.

buzzer1

Thank each of you for the answers. I am starting to get some sort of an idea. Is there a book or some software that I can use for additional reference?

bigjohn67

Mike has awesome books for estimating.

All you have to do is figure the cost:
10 ft 1/2 emt
1 Coupling
1 box/2 connectors
2 straps per 10 ft
30ft of #12 thhn
15 min per 10 ft labor install, 10 min per pull wire.
10 min to terminate and install device
cost of device

Do a unit cost per device to include 10ft of the above.
10ft emt
1 coupling
2 connector
2 box (1 junction/1 device)
1 plaster ring
1 device (standard outlet or switch)
1 trim plate

These are just examples

Status
Not open for further replies.