Conduit on the Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasCB

New User
Occupation
Inspection Coordinator Electrician
Hi all,
I recently helped my dad install a solar system. Everything seemed fine at the inspection, until the inspector started doubting the fire setbacks. After I provided proof of set back measurements, the inspector later said, "you can't run conduit in the fire set back". It seemed like a random statement, almost to save face. It was especially weird considering there are homes in the neighborhood with solar and similar conduit runs. Just to give some details there's a east and west mounting plane. A 3/4 conduit pipe is linking the 2 arrays. We have 3 feet total space between the arrays, but he's saying you cant run conduit across the array?

I provided IFC 1204.2

"Not fewer than two roof pathways extending from the lowest edge to the ridge and not less than 36 inches (914 mm) wide, shall be provided on all buildings with solar system installations. Not fewer than one pathway shall be provided on a street or driveway side of the roof. Pathways shall be over areas capable of supporting fire fighters accessing the roof. Pathways shall be located in areas with minimal obstructions such as vent pipes, conduit, or mechanical equipment."

He said that still wasn't acceptable.

Upon more research I noticed that IFC 2012 605.11.2 Locations of DC conductors states:

"Conduit, wiring systems and raceways for photovoltaic circuits shall be located as close as possible to the ridge or valley and from the hip or valley as directly possible to an outside wall to reduce trip hazards and maximize ventilation opportunities. Conduit runs between sub arrays and to DC combiner boxes shall be installed in a manner that minimizes the total amount of conduit on the roof by taking the shortest path from array to the DC combiner box"

My dad's city is in IFC 2018. Do new codes cycles acknowledge previous stipulations? Any previous experience with this? It sounds like he's just splitting hairs, but I want to be sure?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It is what ever code cycle is the adopted code at the time the permit is issued. Previous code would be the inspectors call if he chose to consider it.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Sounds like the inspector wants to fail you and is looking for a reason.

I've always interpreted that very vague and subjective language you quoted above as basically saying I shouldn't run my conduit lengthwise down the middle of the fire setback. It doesn't say much else that is really enforceable, IMO. Crossing the pathway perpendicularly is fine, i.e. that's the the 'shortest path' referred to in the code. In thousands of residential solar installations I've never had any AHJ claim that there was some kind of blanket prohibition on conduit in setbacks, because there's no code that says that.

Good luck.

Reactions: Zee

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Hi all,
I recently helped my dad install a solar system. Everything seemed fine at the inspection, until the inspector started doubting the fire setbacks. After I provided proof of set back measurements, the inspector later said, "you can't run conduit in the fire set back". It seemed like a random statement, almost to save face. It was especially weird considering there are homes in the neighborhood with solar and similar conduit runs. Just to give some details there's a east and west mounting plane. A 3/4 conduit pipe is linking the 2 arrays. We have 3 feet total space between the arrays, but he's saying you cant run conduit across the array?

I provided IFC 1204.2

"Not fewer than two roof pathways extending from the lowest edge to the ridge and not less than 36 inches (914 mm) wide, shall be provided on all buildings with solar system installations. Not fewer than one pathway shall be provided on a street or driveway side of the roof. Pathways shall be over areas capable of supporting fire fighters accessing the roof. Pathways shall be located in areas with minimal obstructions such as vent pipes, conduit, or mechanical equipment."

He said that still wasn't acceptable.

Upon more research I noticed that IFC 2012 605.11.2 Locations of DC conductors states:

"Conduit, wiring systems and raceways for photovoltaic circuits shall be located as close as possible to the ridge or valley and from the hip or valley as directly possible to an outside wall to reduce trip hazards and maximize ventilation opportunities. Conduit runs between sub arrays and to DC combiner boxes shall be installed in a manner that minimizes the total amount of conduit on the roof by taking the shortest path from array to the DC combiner box"

My dad's city is in IFC 2018. Do new codes cycles acknowledge previous stipulations? Any previous experience with this? It sounds like he's just splitting hairs, but I want to be sure?
Heavy sigh. Some inspectors are petty bureaucrats whose only feeling of power comes from failing installations any way they can. Sometimes they come up with, um... imaginative interpretations of the code to attempt to justify their position. Sometimes, as in one jurisdiction of which I am painfully aware, the inspectors have no technical oversight and no formal education concerning the way electricity works. When they fail an installation of ours, no matter how incorrect their reasoning is we have no avenue of appeal. I feel your pain.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zee

Zee

Done it 400 times in 20 years. NEVER an issue.

Offer to put some red labels on it - if DC.

"Pathways shall be located in areas with minimal obstructions such as vent pipes, conduit, or mechanical equipment."
"Minimal" does not mean "none".

Status
Not open for further replies.