Conduit in Las Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

raberding

Occupation
Consulting Engineer
Hey gang.
Anyone know if the City of Las Vegas, or Clark County NV still requires ALL cabling (like cat5, coax, etc) to be in conduit/emt for the entire length?
Even plenum-rated cable above ceilings?
Even where there are NO ceilings?

thanks!

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Yes sort of, here is their set of amendments they now make it easy to find:
https://www.clarkcountynv.gov/building/plan-review/Building Codes/2017_NEC_Amendments.pdf
Code:
800.24 Mechanical Execution of Work. (A)      Low Voltage Cables. Low voltage cabling installed in a concealed space of a Type I or Type II building  shall  be  plenum  rated,  or  installed  in  a  metal  raceway.  Cables  installed  without  raceways shall be installed per the manufacturer’s installation instructions.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Ever since that big hotel fire years ago, Las Vegas has gotten as paranoid as Chicago. I was looking for some Class 1, 18 Ga audio wiring (either AC or MC) and because I didn't want to run pipe. My first thought was to see if the manufacturers made anything special for Las Vegas.

-Hal

Todd0x1

Ever since that big hotel fire years ago, Las Vegas has gotten as paranoid as Chicago. I was looking for some Class 1, 18 Ga audio wiring (either AC or MC) and because I didn't want to run pipe. My first thought was to see if the manufacturers made anything special for Las Vegas.

-Hal

I thought it was the mgm fire in 1980.

For various MC low voltage cable if you need something non standard AFC will apply armor to customer supplied wire/cable

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I thought it was the mgm fire in 1980.

For various MC low voltage cable if you need something non standard AFC will apply armor to customer supplied wire/cable

All it had to be was two 18 Ga TFFN, red and black listed type AC. I know they will make anything but custom comes with a minimum. I didn't need 100K feet. That's why I was looking for off the shelf. They do have FA MC cable with 18 GA conductors but that is painted red. Couldn't use red and without the paint is a custom. So I ran EMT and pulled TFFN that I had twisted up and put on a 2000 ft reel. (Can't remember by whom.)

Nowadays even big 70.7 V amps are CL2 so I won't have to worry about that again.

ETA: I just thought to look and saw that AC can only be listed with 14 Ga conductors and larger. So this would have had to be MC with a green ground also.

-Hal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.