Conduit Body to use for EMT in wet locations?

jmoles

Occupation
Multimedia
Working on my first solar install and trying to determine what conduit bodies I can/should use with EMT.

In the solar industry do must people use EMT raintight fittings screwed into rigid conduit bodies for outdoor emt runs?

I've come across Bridgeport's conduit bodies designed for solar but no distributors carry me have them.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Raintight Emt fittings are available but make sure they are raintight and not just compression fittings. It took many years of contractors using compression fittings for outdoors before they realized there was an actual raintight fitting. They look the same except for a seal in the connector

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Raintight Emt fittings are available but make sure they are raintight and not just compression fittings. It took many years of contractors using compression fittings for outdoors before they realized there was an actual raintight fitting. They look the same except for a seal in the connector
Some are a different color and may have rubber gasket on male threads, of course they will cost more

Working on my first solar install and trying to determine what conduit bodies I can/should use with EMT.

In the solar industry do must people use EMT raintight fittings screwed into rigid conduit bodies for outdoor emt runs?

I've come across Bridgeport's conduit bodies designed for solar but no distributors carry me have them.

Just remember water will still very likely get in the conduit system. I recommend weep holes in boxes and conduit bodies and arrange raceways to drain ( required by 225.22).

Zee

Inverters have filled up with water and shorted out just from condensation/rain water that enters it through conduit.
Yes on adding weepholes to LB's that feed an inverter ....and in the inverter (if not provided. some have little drain valves i believe).

Last edited: