Conduit Bending Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You guys sure love to make things complicated! :roll: This is simple:

Cut the conduit near the middle. bend your stubs, then cut one where they overlap, and use a coupling.

Sheesh! You'd think someone said you had to do it in one piece. ;)

Gary11734

You guys sure love to make things complicated! :roll: This is simple:

Cut the conduit near the middle. bend your stubs, then cut one where they overlap, and use a coupling.

Sheesh! You'd think someone said you had to do it in one piece. ;)

Where did you get the coupling? I'm hiring you! I started thinking, I wonder if half of these guys know what a 1900 box is and start talking about that!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Ok, now that we have a bunch of "Ut Oh's" on the floor, what's the best way to find the gain of what the radius is for the 1/2" EMT bender in use by said apprentices?

Take given length of EMT say 5' then bend an elbow anywhere on that 5' piece now measure the two resulting elbow lengths and add them together. The difference between that number and the 5' is the gain.

nickelec

Can't you just bend two 90s , measure one End of the pipe bend the 90 and then do the exact same on the other end or would that give u more then 3' in the middle

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Where I used to work there was a older pipefitter that did copper tubing. He was an absolute artist. I'm not sure how he managed to make it work but I never saw him measure anything but everything ended up being perfectly straight and really nice looking. He would stretch the copper tubing in that came in a coil out along a board just make it straight.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Hey, no box offsets?

Here is how it's done, make your 2 90s throw the pipe on the floor and jump on it to get the 2 bends to lay flat. If it still won't lay, cut and couple. Lol, seen it done.

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
What Larry said.

I never even use tape measure or ruler - bend (or even have a number of prebent 90s done in slack time), overlap, cut by eyeball, couple.
50 cent coupling lots cheaper than time unless you or your guys working really cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.