Conduit B&M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Curious how long it would take to pull mandrel through a 200’ 3” EMT that has 3 90’s granted there are no obstructions. Roughly.

kwired

Electron manager
Curious how long it would take to pull mandrel through a 200’ 3” EMT that has 3 90’s granted there are no obstructions. Roughly.
I think that depends on what you are pulling with. Tie pull rope to a drag racing rig and maybe will take just seconds, presuming the rope or anything else doesn't break.

Pulling by hand, depends on how much Wheaties you had for breakfast.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I think that depends on what you are pulling with. Tie pull rope to a drag racing rig and maybe will take just seconds, presuming the rope or anything else doesn't break.

Pulling by hand, depends on how much Wheaties you had for breakfast.

What exactly is a drag racing rig?

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
assuming pull rope is in--then tie it off --pull by hand assuming no obstructions--2 minutes max

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Pulling takes very little time. The number of 90s is irrelevant. 200' is not far, but that has the least amount of impact on how long the task will take. The actual pull is five minutes or less. What takes all the time is everything involved it getting to the point you are ready to start.

What stage of the construction are we at?
Are there any other trades working in the area?
Is the are open to the public?
Is there a string in the conduit already?
Where is the crew?
Is this first job of the day, middle of the day, before lunch or after?
Underground pull?
Inside or outside?
Weather and/or working conditions?
Are all the pieces of equipment required for the task within arm's reach?
Are all the doors and or access points unlocked?
Is there anything else going on at the work site that is going to require the attention of someone involved in this task?
What happens after? What kind of cleanup is involved?

I would estimate that for every five minute task I have in a day there is two to three hours of time associated with that task that needs to be added on.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The OP didn't mention set up so I assumed that he just wants to know low long it would take to actually pull the mandrel through. Factoring set up time could change the required time drastically based on the conditions.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
First you need to get a drag line through the conduit run which could be by a vacuum, snake, rod, or some other device. Then you would pull in a rope strong enough to pull the mandrel through.

follybeacher

Occupation
Estimator
Do those that perform detailed estimates here tabulate a length based labor item for mandrel pulls? Is this defined somewhere for different conduit sizes... or is this so incidental that you feel it‘s within the install labor unit?

Jake79

Occupation
I&E Superintendent
1/4" - 1/2" braided rope, a little bit of wire pulling lubricant and you should have that pulled within 10 minutes easily!

Status
Not open for further replies.