Conductors entering another building

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grouch1980

Hey all!
I'm on a project where a building (#1) has a feeder that feeds another building (#2). At the point where the feeder enters building #2 is a pull box; from the pull box the feeder keeps traveling further inside building #2 to a switchboard that serves the building. We have to relocate the pull box / the point of entry where the feeder enters building #2. However, I believe that instead of a new pull box located at the new point of entry for building #2, it should actually be an unfused disconnect switch, based on section 225.31 in the 2008 NEC. This would comply with the requirement for disconnecting all the ungrounded conductors entering a building. Would this be correct? Looking for feedback. This building was built maybe in the 70's or 80's, so i'm not sure if the code required a switch back then.

Thanks!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Not sure what the code was back then but if you move anything then, IMO, you need to upgrade it. I agree a disconnect on the outside is all you need and it does not need to be a fused disconnect.

Grouch1980

Adding on to my question in post #1... what if this feeder goes through a basement that connects building #1 and building #2? The feeder never goes outside. Is that disconnect switch for building #2 needed? They are still considered separate buildings, with different addresses.

EDIT: I went through some previous posts on this topic... but not sure for this particular case.

EDIT #2: The buildings are not physically connected above ground. Below ground however, there is a passageway that goes from one building to the other... however, the feeder goes through an underground space (not thru this passageway) that terminates right at the wall of building #2, underground. The construction is a little strange. The feeder never goes outside however. and like i mentioned above, each building has its own address.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
EDIT #2: The buildings are not physically connected above ground. Below ground however, there is a passageway that goes from one building to the other... however, the feeder goes through an underground space (not thru this passageway) that terminates right at the wall of building #2, underground. The construction is a little strange. The feeder never goes outside however. and like i mentioned above, each building has its own address.

This doesn't sound like it meets the definition of two separate structures.

Status
Not open for further replies.