Conductor for flexible outdoor application

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenspark1

Hello,
A client wants to run a single #10 wire with flexible gas tubing, similar to the fill hose at a gas station. They envision something ty-rapped to the outside of the cable. The issue is that this will be outdoors in the NE so will be subject to extreme temperature plus repeated movement, flexing, and damage. I see this causing premature failure of the insulation and conductors. I've used high strand wiring for controls applications, but not sure it it'll work here.

I did some looking for high flex cabling and found products intended for robotics and other extreme applications (link). I'm looking for something in the middle. Anyone have experience with a type of cabling that will hold up to this type of application? Thanks a ton!

jtinge

Occupation
Sr. Elec. Engr
Sounds like maybe a ground connection for control of static electricity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cadpoint

I think you need to talk to an engineer or someone that installs piping or tanks for liquid Hydrocarbons fuels.

IMO, what the owner proposes is not correct. It's not unlike fuel trucks that pull up and drop hoses and attach a
bond wire to an common bond point (that all the other tanks) are attached to. This wire is not attached to any hose line!

Of course, more information is required from you!

http://shop.hoseandfittings.com/

Goodyear hoses

or

Parker hoses

greenspark1

I think you need to talk to an engineer or someone that installs piping or tanks for liquid Hydrocarbons fuels.

IMO, what the owner proposes is not correct. It's not unlike fuel trucks that pull up and drop hoses and attach a
bond wire to an common bond point (that all the other tanks) are attached to. This wire is not attached to any hose line!

Of course, more information is required from you!

http://shop.hoseandfittings.com/

Goodyear hoses

or

Parker hoses

Back from a long weekend.
Yes the application you describe is what the owner proposes. It's to ground the truck while unloading fuel. They have been using separate wire reels but don't like them because they break, get stuck in the mud, are a tripping hazard, etc.

As devil's advocate I don't see a reason why the ground can't be carried on the fuel hose, as long as it can withstand the conditions. If it's not permitted I will need to point to a code or requirement that prohibits this grounding method. I didn't see anything in the Goodyear or Parker links. I appreciate the feedback.

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
This may be overkill, but on an application like this I would want 2 wires, with a device to check the continuity between them and an alarm when one fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.