Computer Room Raised Floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gonefishing

I always seem to get into fights about this subject and hope someone out there can help clear this up. If you have a raised floor in the computer room and underneath this raised floor is the output of cooling for this room only. Do you need to use plenum rated cable for station cabling which needs to run outside this room to the general space which is not a plenum.

I hope this makes sense to someone, if not please let me know.

Thanks

Cliff

ron

Re: Computer Room Raised Floor

I'm not sure what station cabling is, but in all instances I know of, if the conductors/cable is not in raceway (except for some oddball situations like "listed prefabricated cable assemblies of manufactured wiring systems without nonmetallic sheath"), special cabling is required. For example see 300.22(C)(1), 645.5(D), 725.3(C), 760.3(B), 800.53(A) and 830.54(A) [list not totally inclusive, but you get the idea.]

sammiamm

in fire alarms we refer to plenum ceilings as to the return air,if each return is ducted or open air return above the drop ceiling,have not run much cable under computer floors,the units feed air under the floor,where is the return,it may not matter,my question is, how far does plenum rating go?cable,zip ties, plastic anchors?

dereckbc

Staff member

If it is a 645 application, then plenum is not required providing 645.5 and 645.6 is complied with. Otherwise plenum would be required.

[ June 08, 2004, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: dereckbc ]

dereckbc

Staff member

Ron, I think by "station cable" he means all the low voltage signal cable types.

Status
Not open for further replies.