Complete Rewire -- dulplex outlet, switches, fan, dryer ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmtjfw

Continuation of previous post:

Contracted $10,000 complete rewire of house including replacing conductors:

Living room Receptacle:

15A 125V Duplex TR receptacle
Body of receptacle wrapped with tape -- often indicator of bush-league player
ground wires twisted together --- no listed splicing device
metal box not grounded
no cable clamps
NM cable pokes through box-clamp style knockouts

Two S1 switches in ganged metal box
no ground wires
box not grounded
use white/black as switch loop
white is feed
white is not re-identified

Fan
Fan box used
Fan Box ground under screw, screw not tightened

Dryer1
old 3 wire SE cable as feed -- not replaced
3-wire not 4-wire receptacle

Dryer2
new 10/3 w/g cable
receptacle laying on floor with a couple feet of cable going into wall

200A panelboard
subfeed from Main Disconnect 200A CB in combo meter socket
fed into 200A panelboard main breaker (OK)
Neutrals on left bar; grounds on right bar;
neural and grounds connected to horizontal bar connecting two vertical bars
grounds connected to lug screwed into cabinet.
Unable to locate "green" Screw bonding cabinet
so box may not be bonded; neutrals / grounds not separated in subfed box

No AFCI CBs (2011 after Jan 1, 2014)

20A CBs with #14 (presumably non-motor) circuit wires.

Numerous Junction boxes in basement ceiling connecting new NM to old wiring (Remember replace all conductors)
Junction box that was checked as not bonded to ground wire (surprise)

Left in disgust!

growler

15A 125V Duplex TR receptacle
Body of receptacle wrapped with tape -- often indicator of bush-league player.

There is nothing wrong with tape on the receptacles. Many people were trained to use tape with metal boxes.

Was the receptacle installed correctly? Some people will install with the conductor bent in the wrong direction around the terminal screw. Indicating a lack of training.

growler

Neutrals on left bar; grounds on right bar;
neural and grounds connected to horizontal bar connecting two vertical bars
grounds connected to lug screwed into cabinet.

That horizonal bar, is it made of metal or plastic?

For some panels there is a plastic type bar that can replace the metal bar and will allow you to use this instead of buying a ground bar ( it seperates the neutrals and grounds). I find it's cheaper and easier to just buy the ground bar kit.

growler

metal box not grounded
no cable clamps
NM cable pokes through box-clamp style knockouts

box not grounded
use white/black as switch loop
white is feed
white is not re-identified

Dryer1
old 3 wire SE cable as feed -- not replaced
3-wire not 4-wire receptacle

Dryer2
new 10/3 w/g cable
receptacle laying on floor with a couple feet of cable going into wall

No AFCI CBs (2011 after Jan 1, 2014)

20A CBs with #14 (presumably non-motor) circuit wires.

Numerous Junction boxes in basement ceiling connecting new NM to old wiring (Remember replace all conductors)
Junction box that was checked as not bonded to ground wire (surprise)

Left in disgust!

Sounds more like handyman than an electrician.

I would check to see if the contractors is licensed because some of these have been in the code for a long time.

growler

Was this a licensed guy? Obviously he needs a code refresher but is the contract in your purview

This why I think permits and inspections are important.

Most electricians would do a good job anyway (professional pride ) but some people are tempted to do just any sort of hack work just to get money.

macmikeman

Unlicensed guys often operate in the ''rewire'' arena. Usually the owner is told a permit is not required, and he buys into it. Most times it is the homeowners own fault because he is looking for the rock bottom price to get the job done, and cheapo handy service is the music to his ears. I have no sympathy for this type of homeowner when he calls to get corrections performed, their whining about cost falls on deaf ears. $$$$$$ Next time - call the professional i the first place, it is the best bargain.

fmtjfw

That horizonal bar, is it made of metal or plastic?

For some panels there is a plastic type bar that can replace the metal bar and will allow you to use this instead of buying a ground bar ( it seperates the neutrals and grounds). I find it's cheaper and easier to just buy the ground bar kit.

Metal goes under the the two line side terminals for the 200A CB. Bolts at each end to each of the vertical neutral/ground bars. Has at the center (between the two 200A CB terminals two lugs -- large with feeder neutral and small with a couple grounding wires in it.

Panel is Square_D with BR-style breakers

fmtjfw

Unlicensed guys often operate in the ''rewire'' arena. Usually the owner is told a permit is not required, and he buys into it. Most times it is the homeowners own fault because he is looking for the rock bottom price to get the job done, and cheapo handy service is the music to his ears. I have no sympathy for this type of homeowner when he calls to get corrections performed, their whining about cost falls on deaf ears. $$$$$$ Next time - call the professional i the first place, it is the best bargain.

$10,000 is not a rock bottom price for this, I'd bid it at $5000 -- 7000 and I always "bid high"

fmtjfw

We'll see how this goes.

We'll see how this goes.

So the Owner, Grandpa, and the electrician had a heart-to-heart last evening (While I was at the annual "don't dig up the gas pipeline -- and if you do, certainly don't put out the ensuing fire" dinner and meeting.)

Grandpa showed electrician the scrawled sheet with the problems and code references I left with him and mumbled Fire Marshal. Apparently the guy understands who issues his license and who can take it away. So he agreed to come and fix everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.