Company Masters

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimport

Occupation
Master Electrician
Would anyone like to share a value of holding a masters for a company? I know this is company dependent, but have no good idea of what to ask for beyond salary aspects. Sorry if this is vague, I really don't know how to frame the question better.

nickelec

I think the answer to that will vary greatly depending on location

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Mike 123

New User
Occupation
Electrician
I receive a monthly compensation of $1000 for holding a Masters license in my state.The company that I hold it for is a nation wide temporary employement agency.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Would anyone like to share a value of holding a masters for a company? I know this is company dependent, but have no good idea of what to ask for beyond salary aspects. Sorry if this is vague, I really don't know how to frame the question better.
Some places it is not worth a bucket of spit. Other places it is worth more. Just depends. Keep in mind that if you start signing for permits your license is on the line.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have contemplated this question a lot and I can't give you an exact answer but here is what I think...

There are basically two components to your pay:
* Your salary for being an employee or consultant to the company; and
* a fee you charge the company for providing the service of your license.

Additionally, the company should pay for whatever insurance you are required to carry (including personal liability) and for any expenses related to being summoned by a court or electrical board to explain actions performed for the company. You should also get a company vehicle or reimbursement if you will be driving to perform company business.

Your salary is based on the same things every employee's salary is based on:
* How many hours you spend working. (You might want to work part-time).
* What your responsibilities are. (Do you design systems, go to job sites, meet with clients, do estimating, buy materials, supervise employees, teach training classes, or just provide your license number?)

In my state, I am required to supervise all work performed under my license. That doesn't mean I have to supervise the employees, just make sure the work meets NEC standards. The absolute minimum I could do legally is:
* Keep track of every permit the company pulls under my license.
* Keep track of job schedules so I know when inspections will be occurring.
* Perform a site visit to inspect the work prior to every county inspection.
I would also require the authority to stop work and to require correction of any issues.

The fee for using your license could be anything the company is willing to pay. Keep in mind that you are taking a big risk so your compensation should be just. They can't operate without someone's license. The fewer the masters available, the more you can charge. Just a guess but, for a company that does lots of small jobs perhaps $100-300 per permit pulled would be right. For a company that does large jobs, perhaps 1% of the bid price if it means you have to do a lot more work. If your jurisdiction does not require you to do anything, then it could be a flat fee per permit regardless of job size.

Make sure you get a written contract that guarantees your payments and authority. You may have to prove to the jurisdiction that you have the authority to do what is required to be legal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.