common grounding electrode conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have engineers arguing where is common grounding electrode conductor definition instead they just provide grounding electrodes conductors not common grounding electrode conductor.

Does NEC 2014 have definition of what common grounding electrode conductor is?

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
When you looked what did you find?

I wish it did it would avoid confusion they use it in a lot especially in NEC 2014 section 250.64(D)(1) from bus bar common grounding electrode conductor. I have situation where from bus bar outside there is individual grounding electrode tap from multiple service discos connected however other end of bus bar there are individual grounding electrode conductors sized per main incoming service conductor each going to different ground electrode of trough from which each service discos is connected.

I was wondering if the individual grounding electrode conductors since they are sized per main service conductors would be considered common grounding electrode and comply per NEC 2014 section 250.64(D)(1)?

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Presumably this is in regards to 250.64(D). I dont see that a definition is necessary. The Title of (D) and the instructions in (D)(1) seem to make it crystal clear.

I wish it did it would avoid confusion they use it in a lot especially in NEC 2014 section 250.64(D)(1) from bus bar common grounding electrode conductor. I have situation where from bus bar outside there is individual grounding electrode tap from multiple service discos connected however other end of bus bar there are individual grounding electrode conductors sized per main incoming service conductor each going to different ground electrode of trough from which each service discos is connected.

I was wondering if the individual grounding electrode conductors since they are sized per main service conductors would be considered common grounding electrode and comply per NEC 2014 section 250.64(D)(1)?[/QUOTE]

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A common grounding electrode conductor is required to be a minimum of #3/0 which also happens to be the maximum size GEC required. If everything is #3/0 or larger then what is the issue?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
A common grounding electrode conductor is required to be a minimum of #3/0 which also happens to be the maximum size GEC required. If everything is #3/0 or larger then what is the issue?
I see the 3/0 minimum with common conductors for SDS in 250.30, I don't see the 3/0 minimum for services in 250.64. Am I overlooking it ?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I see the 3/0 minimum with common conductors for SDS in 250.30, I don't see the 3/0 minimum for services in 250.64. Am I overlooking it ?
You're correct, I was referencing the SDS requirements not for service switches.

SSDriver

Occupation
Electrician
Not sure if this helps.
250.66%20Taps.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.