Commerical Lighting Support (Hang Wire/ Tie Wire)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewABD

Occupation
Electrician
Hello,

Last night I got called out by a JM I don't work with often about securing 12-2 MC, it was at a grocery store renovation to an existing readily available hangwire that is solely supporting a commercial 277v 2'x4' lighting fixture. Not a hangwire that supports the grid.

The issue he called me out on was that a lighting fixture supported by our designated hangwire/ jack chain can not be support BOTH MC and the fixture at the same. A phenomenon called sharing or piggybacking means of support; was stating that it's been a "Code" standard since he was an apprentice. I've secured MC to existing dedicated hang wire countless times amongst different jobs with other JMs and foreman's with 0 issue. So I respectively called him out and he wouldn't budge an inch, so when I asked him what article he said it's in means of support and I've scanned it, and the internet and found absolutely nothing. I usually wouldn't even have an issue but the MC was already cut off the spool and snaked I was just now securing it.

Can someone please support this JMs call-out with a code article in hand; I don't mind being humbled but we've done this all over new England with no issue with any inspector.

4th year commercial apprentice.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.