Commercial wall light wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alsshop

We received some lights from our supplier that may be wired incorrectly. What is the code for the black and white connection locations on a standard incandesent 115v socket? They are saying the black/white wires are reversed but what does the code call for? If they are reversed can I change them myself and not loose the UL rating? Appreciate the help!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The most important thing is that the lamps' outer shell is connected to the neutral. Otherwise the outside metallic portion of the lamp may be hot when the lamp is being removed.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
To go along with Infinity's post.

410.23 Polarization of Luminaires (Fixtures)
Luminaires (fixtures) shall be wired so that the screw shells of lampholders are connected to the same luminaire (fixture) or circuit conductor or terminal. The grounded conductor, where connected to a screw-shell lampholder, shall be connected to the screw shell.

Reversing the wiring (if in fact they are wired backwards) to meet the requirement would not void the listing.

Roger

Last edited:
I've seen the very same instance on fixtures purchased at IKEA. The fixtures they sell are not all UL listed. I think they should not be allowed in the country.

Last edited:

haskindm

With few exceptions, there is no requirement that electrical equipment be listed by UL or anyone else. The code says that equipment must be approved. The approval is made by the AHJ. Often the AHJ will base their approval on the UL Listing but that is not a requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.