Commercial Hot tub E switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stone2187

New User
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Hello all, I have a question, Can I use a locking E switch for a hot tub on a commercial property?
My Electrical inspector states that we need a E switch and a maintenance switch. I agree, but with all that said A, is there a device that can do both, B is that ok to do and follow NEC 680?

kwired

Electron manager
1652237023115.png

If he is requiring the "E switch" to be a typical E-stop style button, I see no requirement on type of switch/operator here, just something that is labeled to indicate it is an emergency shutoff and that will stop motors for recirculation/jet system. It could shut off more than that and even serve as the maintenance disconnect, if it also meets requirements of said disconnect but not required to serve both purposes.

Where you might see it serve both purposes is for packaged spas if they are in non dwelling location.

Otherwise non packaged spas would be more likely that the pump is not in immediate spa vicinity and chances are you need both a maintenance disconnect at the pump/other equipment as well as a emergency switch at the spa location.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
To be qualified as a disconnect for maintenance, the switch would need to be lockable and directly cut power to the loads, not cut power to a motor starter coil or any kind of control switch. Most E Stop buttons are going to have contacts rated for no more than 1/2HP, so both motors together would need to add up to less than that. I would keep the E Stop and maintenance disconnect separate.

kwired

Electron manager
To be qualified as a disconnect for maintenance, the switch would need to be lockable and directly cut power to the loads, not cut power to a motor starter coil or any kind of control switch. Most E Stop buttons are going to have contacts rated for no more than 1/2HP, so both motors together would need to add up to less than that. I would keep the E Stop and maintenance disconnect separate.
Switch that is within sight of what is being disconnected is not required to be lockable per NEC, might be per some safety standards though.

Status
Not open for further replies.