Commercial flat roof PV in WA, specifically Seattle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some roof system coming up mostly in Seattle. POCO would be Seattle City light, but possibly a few with PSE. I have quite a bit of PV experience, but on the east coast. Anyone familiar with this area want to throw out any useful information? I am thinking any comments on permitting, any special fire related clearances, incentives of interest, utility requirements? I thought we had a member here who did PV in that area but I Cant remember who......Thanks.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The state of Seattle has their own amendments to the NEC, so get those. East side cites use common NEC amendments. And get a copy of state code rules WAC 296-46B. You have someone in your company who is a WA state electrical administrator?

The state of Seattle has their own amendments to the NEC, so get those. East side cites use common NEC amendments. And get a copy of state code rules WAC 296-46B. You have someone in your company who is a WA state electrical administrator?
Thanks Tom. Yes I am familiar with the seattle electrical code and the WAC. I will look thru 690 and 705 for amendment I am not familiar with. I am a WA administrator and 01.

I guess my major concerns were with non electrical aspects such as special fire related clearances and engineering requirements.

PWDickerson

Occupation
Solar Contractor
Are these residential or commercial projects? We are almost entirely a residential installation company. WA has some language in the WAC (WA Administrative Code) that exempts most residential solar from requiring structural engineering during plan review, and most jurisdictions use the exemptions to support an expedited permitting process for residential rooftop solar. Check out WAC 51-51-03240. https://app.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=51.51&full=true#51-51-03240

Contact the building departments in the jurisdictions you are working in and ask about expedited solar permitting.

There is a section in the WAC that addresses fire code as well. WAC 51-54A-1204

Most of our projects are in PSE territory, and Seattle is outside of our service area, so I don't have any experience with Seattle City Light. PSE is generally great to work with. They use PowerClerk to coordinate all their net metering projects. You will want to review the chapter on customer generation in their New Construction Handbook. https://www.pse.com/en/construction-services/guides-handbooks. They will not install the net meter if they arrive and find a "net meter" STICKER on the socket. It has to be a phenolic placard!

PWDickerson

Occupation
Solar Contractor
Also, WAC 296-46B-705 clarifies that line-side connected systems should be wired like an additional service, but grouping with other service equipment isn't required.

Also, WAC 296-46B-705 clarifies that line-side connected systems should be wired like an additional service, but grouping with other service equipment isn't required.
Great, thanks for the tips! This would be commercial. I found a Seattle City light document "construction requirements for distributed generation systems 25 KW and under" but couldn't find the one for over 25 KW, guess I'll have to call them...

Status
Not open for further replies.