Commercial Electrical Building Inspector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Sparrow

Occupation
Electrician
Does anybody know of any reputable institute whether online or direct that offers Commercial Electrical Inspector training or courses?. I've been in the electrical field for a while as an electrician and have decided to take the inspectors way of life since my back can't take it anymore. Currently in Florida and would like to write my ICC E2 commercial electrical inspector exam before the end of 2020.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Since it is now June of 2021, I do not think you can make your deadline. :)
Is this a typo or another Florida Man story? (sorry, could not resist that)

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Does anybody know of any reputable institute whether online or direct that offers Commercial Electrical Inspector training or courses?. I've been in the electrical field for a while as an electrician and have decided to take the inspectors way of life since my back can't take it anymore. Currently in Florida and would like to write my ICC E2 commercial electrical inspector exam before the end of 2020.
I note you are from Florida. As I recall in Florida all inspectors have to be licensed by the state and they have their own exam version of the ICC inspector series of exams.

Jack Sparrow

Occupation
Electrician
@texie From the info. i have received ,Yes they all do have to be licensed by the State. However you have to first get certified then go through the DBPR (department of business and professional regulation) to get their license. Basically you go through two exams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack Sparrow

Occupation
Electrician
Basically I’m looking for pre- licensing training to get my foot into the door.. then later on progressively move onto wrtn the ICC exam and then getting my license through the DBPR

NTesla76

Occupation
Electrics
My IAEI Master Electrical Certification was a test very similar to my state masters license test, except I thought the IAEI test was more difficult. Similar format for questions.

Jack Sparrow

Occupation
Electrician
@NTesla76 Okay, i would have to call the DBPR & ask them about that because Florida is slightly different. I just need a way to get practice and start of my inspectors career by writing the first certified exam.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Joe.B

Occupation
Building Inspector
This forum and the code book did it for me, with a little help from the internet. Real life scenarios are discussed, when code sections are referenced I look them up in the book. If there's a term I don't know, internet. Having the hard copy of the book was important for me. The other BIG factor was I had the job as inspector. I don't think I would have passed any of the tests without being on the job.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
OJT is a start, every job you're on take your code book with you and look for code compliance. Get used to finding issues from code perspective, not just the mechanics of electrical work. As mentioned this forum and Mike Holt's materials a great aid as well. Get your code book out as you read this forums. As you can see many times comments will draw on the code then relate real world application of the code (or not), and sometimes discussions of interpretations. Get familiar with the code book, what's where, here it is an open book exam (NEC) but time limited. I believe it is same most areas. IAEI has study aids available as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.