Combustible Gas Detector for Battery Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
This is probably not required..BUT, the client wont let go of the mentality that battery rooms must have combustible gas detection system (alarmed to DCS) and/or a ventilation fan in order to declassify the room. Ref 500.7(K)
Can anyone out there share an example of a ceiling mounted Gas Detector (Hydrogen)?

Thanks in advance.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
A battery room only needs to comply with Article 480. Depending on the battery type, ventilation may be required. See Section 480.10(A). Combustible gas detectors, if used, need to be for one of the purposes noted in Section 500.7(K)(1),(2), or (3). They aren’t mandatory.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
A battery room only needs to comply with Article 480. Depending on the battery type, ventilation may be required. See Section 480.10(A). Combustible gas detectors, if used, need to be for one of the purposes noted in Section 500.7(K)(1),(2), or (3). They aren’t mandatory.

Thank you very much Bob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stebs

Macurco makes the HD-11 hydrogen gas detector. The straight up combustible gas detector is the GD-2B. That is if they’re still adamant on having one.

Fyi: the combustible gas one is designed primarily for nat gas and propane, but I know butane from a lighter will trip it. Not sure if it will detector hydrogen or not.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
Macurco makes the HD-11 hydrogen gas detector. The straight up combustible gas detector is the GD-2B. That is if they’re still adamant on having one.

Fyi: the combustible gas one is designed primarily for nat gas and propane, but I know butane from a lighter will trip it. Not sure if it will detector hydrogen or not.

Ok thanks Stebs; I will check into!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
As I mentioned earlier unless you are using gas detectors for one of the applications noted in Sections 500.7(K)(1),(2), or (3), they are useless. If you read those Sections carefully you will see you cannot use them to "declassifiy" a location below Division 2. In fact, if you do use them you are saying you believe it's possible for flammable gases to accumulate which is essentially the definition for Division 2. [Sections 500.5(B)(2)(1) or(2)].

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
As I mentioned earlier unless you are using gas detectors for one of the applications noted in Sections 500.7(K)(1),(2), or (3), they are useless. If you read those Sections carefully you will see you cannot use them to "declassifiy" a location below Division 2. In fact, if you do use them you are saying you believe it's possible for flammable gases to accumulate which is essentially the definition for Division 2. [Sections 500.5(B)(2)(1) or(2)].
Thanks again Bob. I have already reached out to construction and informed them the Gas Detectors are NOT a get out-of-jail pass.

ron

Generally the adopted fire code gets involved with when ventilation is enough or when gas detection is required.
If the International Fire Code is adopted in that jurisdiction, the 2018 edition would take you to Section 1206.2.11

Status
Not open for further replies.