combination couplings

Status
Not open for further replies.

stockamp

i heard an inspector turned down a a made goto from emt to greenfield with a connector, rigid threaded coupling, and a greenfield connector because he didn't use the combination coupling that is one piece that you can buy.

batch

Re: combination couplings

This is why a specific code reference should be given from the inspector. In Florida and I would hope everywhere else, the inspector must issue a SPECIFIC code reference.

I am sure that this inspector would probably just write his objection with the use at first. I insist that we look it up in the code so that "I can learn".

The inspector will probably come up with something such as "must be listed for the purpose". You of course know that the coupleing IS listed for the purpose of joining two connectors.

After that if he still won't conceed then I would put the question to my UL inspector and ask for specific documentation or a letter.

I have gone through this several times with inspectors.

scott

Although I personally don't see a safety issue with this installation, it is in violation of the NEC.

Article 300.15 tells the tale.

Perhaps a code change needs to be sent.

Enjoy your day!

iwire

Staff member

2002 310.15(F) Fitting. A fitting identified for the use shall be permitted in lieu of a box or conduit body where conductors are not spliced or terminated within the fitting. The fitting shall be accessible after installation.

Maybe they could press you on the fact that it states "A fitting" not "fittings"

But I agree with Hurk and Batch and do this all the time each fitting in the made up "Goto" is performing the task it is listed for.

What is the electrical hazard in doing this?

Common sense should prevail.

Status
Not open for further replies.