coleman Powermate 5000 runs my welder and plasma cutter just fine but exl8000 won't

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamcralle

I have a Briggs and Stratton EXL 8000 generator that I'm trying to power my tweco fabricator 181 I and Cutmaster 42 plasma cutter. I borrowed my friends coleman Powermate 5000 generator which is under sized but however powers both of them to the best of its ability. Whenever i tried to use my exl8000, it runs the plasma cutter just fine. The welder however starts to strike and Arc and then turns off. I know that the powermate 5000 has a floating neutral which I suspect maybe the problem. I have tried grounding my welder to the frame of the generator, that by the way seems to work the best, I have tried using the neutral as ground, I have even driven an 8 foot grounding rod into the earth since I needed to install one anyway for my house but that didn't do any good. I even tried rewiring the EXL 8000 to have a floating ground but my welder would not even come on. I just can't figure out what is going on and would appreciate anyones help with this. Thank you in advance for all replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am closing this thread in accordance with forum rules. This forum is intended to assist electricians, electrical contractors, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical profession. If you are not an electrician, we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical troubleshooting, installation, or maintenance work.

Status
Not open for further replies.