Cold Water Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaw0486

We are building a project and the engineer has over sized the grounding electrode to the cold water to a 400 KCMIL. We have search high and low for a manufacturers that makes a pipe clamp that will accept a 400 KCMIL and no one makes one that we can located. Does anyone have any recommendation on terminating this?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We are building a project and the engineer has over sized the grounding electrode to the cold water to a 400 KCMIL. We have search high and low for a manufacturers that makes a pipe clamp that will accept a 400 KCMIL and no one makes one that we can located. Does anyone have any recommendation on terminating this?
How about using a lug that will fit the wire, attached to a ground clamp with the 1/4-20 terminal screw.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician

Attachments

• ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fimages-na.ssl-images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F81690Oc1nmL.jpg&f=1&nofb=1.jpg
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fimages-na.ssl-images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F81690Oc1nmL.jpg&f=1&nofb=1.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 2

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Ilsco GPL ground clamps are available to fit wire sizes up to 500. I'm sure other manufactures have similar.

I would have told the engineer to adjust his/her plans to the correct wire size.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Ilsco GPL ground clamps are available to fit wire sizes up to 500. I'm sure other manufactures have similar.

I would have told the engineer to adjust his/her plans to the correct wire size.

I've always wondered why engineers want larger than the required #3/0 GEC's. :?

We frequently see spec's that call for 500 kcmil copper, that usually gets value engineered down to a #3/0. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.