Coffered Ceiling Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Anyone ever install lighting to light the top edges of a coffered ceiling? Wondering what type of lighting one would use. Some type of LEDs is what I'm leaning towards. End result something like this:

coffered-ceiling.jpg

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
In the 'old days' (ie about 10 years ago) the answer would have been rope lights with incandescent bulbs. Infinitely dim able!

Now, you can get LED strings with multi-color LEDs so you can pick your color. Most of these are about 3/8" wide x 16' long, with a peel-off strip on the sticky back.

Search for >LED strip mounting channel<. There are varieties at 45* angle, a U-channel to embed in drywall (fill in that decorative expansion joint), and curved strips to gracefully light the wall. Most are aluminum; some have clear or translucent covers strips.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
In my view one of the best sources right now is DiodeLED. Very high quality. It takes some study to learn their different types and colors of tape, tracks and diffussers but for a quality job it is worth the effort. See here: diodeled.com
One thing you need to be careful about in an application like this is that it is designed so that the light bleeds out above the molding rather than casting a sharp edge of light that looks sorry. Also be careful to design for max lengths that do not exceed class 2 limits. Often have to break it up into multiple drivers driven by one dimmer.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
superbrightleds.com is what I’ve used. Their prices are extremely reasonable and if you send them dimensions, they’ll put together an order for you instead of you spending an hour on their website trying to figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'll take a look at all of the links. What is typically used to hold the strip in place? I cannot see adhesive tape lasting very long.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'll take a look at all of the links. What is typically used to hold the strip in place? I cannot see adhesive tape lasting very long.
It does, but if it doesn't, contact cement works very well. I even use it to affix wiring under cabinets.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
For coffered lights, I'd go with a 'tunable white.' No telling what everyone will like.

Better, go for the color + tunable white. Mood lighting in red, green, or blue!

Blue-- reminds us of the moonlit night we spent on the beach in Acapulco...
Red-- reminds us of the lights on the cop car when they arrested us on the beach in Acapulco...
:roll:

cburke1111

In my view one of the best sources right now is DiodeLED. Very high quality. It takes some study to learn their different types and colors of tape, tracks and diffussers but for a quality job it is worth the effort. See here: diodeled.com
One thing you need to be careful about in an application like this is that it is designed so that the light bleeds out above the molding rather than casting a sharp edge of light that looks sorry. Also be careful to design for max lengths that do not exceed class 2 limits. Often have to break it up into multiple drivers driven by one dimmer.
DiodeLED is what I use to.

It's a little more pricey than the other brands but it's definitely a great product.

A basics 100 will work for accent lighting.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

TRauls

New User
Occupation
Administration
How can I find more photos of this home? We’re building and I love the layout. Is this something you found on google or do you know the builder?

sparky1118

Occupation
Master Electrician
LED tape light all the way. Completely dimmable and easy install. I would just recommend getting a defuser with it. So you don’t see the small dots on the ceiling.

kwired

Electron manager
Haven't done any coffered lighting like that since the 90's, and we seemed to do quite of few of them then. Back then it was T12 linear fluorescent being used. Today definitely would use some sort of flexible LED strip lighting. Closest thing I have done more recently is installing similar on top of cabinets.

Status
Not open for further replies.