Code section conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I am being challenged by engineer who presented existing panel schedule with new circuits. He has branch circuit conductor sizes and equipment grounding conductor sizes however no conduit size. He says where in code it says conductors have to be installed in conduit?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
You could use MC. However since he has specified branch circuit conductor sizes with equipment grounding conductor sizes it sounds like he expects individual conductors to be run. Just ask him how he would like the conductors to be run if he doesn't think conduit is needed.

-Hal

480sparky

It doesn't.

At least a blanket statement that says, "All conductors must be installed in conduit".

300.3(A) is the closest you'll probably get.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
300.3(B) could be applicable as well:

300.3(B)
(B) Conductors of the Same Circuit. All conductors of the
same circuit and, where used, the grounded conductor and all
equipment grounding conductors and bonding conductors
shall be contained within the same raceway, auxiliary gutter,
cable tray, cablebus assembly, trench, cable, or cord,
unless
otherwise permitted in accordance with 300.3(B)(1)through
(B)(4).

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
You could use MC. However since he has specified branch circuit conductor sizes with equipment grounding conductor sizes it sounds like he expects individual conductors to be run. Just ask him how he would like the conductors to be run if he doesn't think conduit is needed.

-Hal

He says just run them without conduit.

480sparky

There are other options besides conduit:. Cable tray, direct buried, cable Assemblies. I can't imagine he is actually envisioning zip tying THHN and/or running it thru bored holes in framing.😶

If he is, have him pull the permit and be responsible for the install for the inspection.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
In the Dominican they pull thhn in small plastic tubing, or it comes that way, Didn’t look twisted like mc, and it was clear tubing.so I don’t know, I just had to go back behind them and change the fixtures and switches to American style. They don’t pull a ground to the lights either. Pool panel was nema 1 on a post in the backyard! Electricity is so expensive down there they put every individual light on a switch. On a long hallway you could have one light on three ways, the rest on sp at one end or the other.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I am being challenged by engineer who presented existing panel schedule with new circuits. He has branch circuit conductor sizes and equipment grounding conductor sizes however no conduit size. He says where in code it says conductors have to be installed in conduit?
If this ends being THHN conductors zip tied here and there, thats the type of installation
Which would make our state electrical newsletter as "the picture of the month".

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Alright so after much argument the engineer says he provided cover page separate from panel schedule general note which says all conduit to be minimum xxx inch.

Status
Not open for further replies.