code question

Status
Not open for further replies.

selectric

What size wire can be used for a 400amp 3phase service(not paralled)

Electrical inspector states that 500mcm is only rated for 380 in the 75 coluom, so it would not be sufficient, is this right?

charlie

Re: code question

"240.4(B) Devices Rated 800 Amperes or Less. The next higher standard overcurrent device rating (above the ampacity of the conductors being protected) shall be permitted to be used, provided all of the following conditions are met:
(1) The conductors being protected are not part of a multioutlet branch circuit supplying receptacles for cord-and-plug-connected portable loads.
(2) The ampacity of the conductors does not correspond with the standard ampere rating of a fuse or a circuit breaker without overload trip adjustments above its rating (but that shall be permitted to have other trip or rating adjustments).
(3) The next higher standard rating selected does not exceed 800 amperes."

The above will allow you to use 500 kcmil Cu. at no more than 380 amperes of non-continuous load and to protect the conductors with a 400 ampere overcurrent device. :cool:

charlie

He may not have been wrong! If the calculated load is 390 amperes and non-continuous, you would need wire that would carry 390 amperes (600 kcmil Cu.) and a 400 ampere OC device. :D

Repeat after me, "The inspector is always correct." :cool:

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Steve that is a touchy subject.If i know my AHJ is incorrect I make sure i have the article highlighted and just open the NEC to show it to him/her,For the most part I don`t say a word just point.

charlie

I am one of the so called "experts" on the Code. do I know everything? NO And no one else does either, including any inspector. The intent of my comment is that the inspector is the AHJ and the interpreter of the Code. Respect that. Never rub his nose in a situation where he has made a mistake. Remember that he is human and humans make mistakes or have gaps in their knowledge. With that said, he still interprets the Code.

The inspector is always correct. :D

selectric

Charlie

I understand, I would never intentionally rub anyones nose in a mistake, we all make mistakes
Unfortunately this AHJ did plan review on this electrical service and he delayed this project over this for four weeks going back and forth over the amperage of 500mcm.

Sometimes inpectors have too much influence over these situations, I believe this inspector has made me a better electrical contractor(with his attention to detail about the code) He makes us think much more about how we are doing our jobs. on the flipside
He also is very unreachable person with a onesided opinion about most everything.
I was shocked that he apoligized, but since I was the one who did the single line drawing on the engineered print he embarrassed me in front the architect, owner, builder by not doing his due diligence or discusing it with me before he threw out the red flag.

thank you for your comments

steve

charlie

Steve, it is interesting that the inspector is "unreachable". However, you have reached him if he respected you enough to apologize. This makes me wonder if you haven't gotten his respect? Assuming that is the case, go a little out of your way to talk to him. He will not be unreachable in the future nor will he embarrass you again. Gaining someone's respect is priceless and it has to be earned. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.