Code of the day

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
The answer is also sump pump as a GFCI is required for these but this answer is marked wrong?

New for the 2020 NEC 422.5(A)(6) will now require GFCI protection for all sump pumps rated 150 volts or less to ground and 60 amperes or less, single- or 3-phase sump pumps (hard wired or cord-and-plug connected

Attachments

• IMG_2509.png
    IMG_2509.png
    111 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2510.png
    IMG_2510.png
    280.6 KB · Views: 31

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Sump pumps must be supplied with GFCI per 422.5(A)(6) why do you think it can be omitted?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It says that sump pumps under the 2020 specifically require GFCI protection. Prior code versions did not require GFCI protection when they were installed in an area where receptacles did not require GFCI protection like in a finished basement.

kwired

Electron manager
I think OP is maybe pointing out some sort of error on a particular web site? Somehow intermixing the mentioned security system in one image with the sump pump information in the other image?

Other than that seems the GFCI intentions of 2020 code for the sump pumps was pretty clear?

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The code question of the day is asking about things that are exempt from gfci requirements not things that require gfci protection. So if you answered “sump pump” the answer is incorrect.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
Sump pumps must be supplied with GFCI per 422.5(A)(6) why do you think it can be omitted?
That my point. I said sump pumps must be GFCI protected but code of the day said this was the wrong answer. I’m not sure what they are omitting

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
That my point. I said sump pumps must be GFCI protected but code of the day said this was the wrong answer. I’m not sure what they are omitting
Where does it say that it's wrong? It says that security systems may omit the GFCI protection it doesn't say that sump pumps don't require it.

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
“A receptacle supplying only a permanently installed premises ___ shall be permitted to omit ground fault circuit interrupter protection.” So out of all the items listed as answers, (Sump pump, well pump, refrigerator, and security system) which piece of equipment is exempt from GFCI requirements. You are omitting the gfci requirements for a receptacle that supplies a security system.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
They're not saying it can be omitted, read it again slower this time. Reading mistakes are a major reason people get exam answers wrong.