CO / Smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malywr

I were asked to install smoke detector in single family house. Second floor only. There is small hallway and 2 rooms next to each other. I plan to install smoke detector in hallway and one in each room but do I need CO in all 3 location or just one combo CO/Smoke outside in hallway and smoke only in bedrooms?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
The rules for placement of smoke / CO detectors are not in the NEC. In my geographic area, the rules are in the building code and jurisdiction ordinance.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I might post question in wrong forum... maybe building or NFPA72.
As long as you're here, we might as well give you an answer. In NJ, if you have fossil fuel fired appliances that connect to the living space via ductwork or be being within the living space envelope, you need CO detectors as well in each location. And you have to have them on each habitable level. Second floor only won't cut it.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I Googled "NJ fire code smoke detectors" which leads to a State of New Jersey Department of Community Affairs Division of Fire Safety web page. There you will learn Click Here that New Jersey uses the Universal Construction Code (a building code) for smoke and CO detectors.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As long as you're here, we might as well give you an answer. In NJ, if you have fossil fuel fired appliances that connect to the living space via ductwork or be being within the living space envelope, you need CO detectors as well in each location. And you have to have them on each habitable level. Second floor only won't cut it.
Where is this code section found?

Malywr

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Can you help interprets that code
“Immediate vicinity” that mean in the bedroom or right outside of bedroom.
I taught if I install one smoke in each bedroom and one combo right outside the bedrooms (in hallway)that would be 4’ away from each bedroom door and cover one per floor requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're mostly good if you follow that rule. The detector's coverage is a circle with a radius of 21 feet (NFPA 72-2013, 29.5.1.1.(2)). In most residences, you aren't going to find a hallway for bedrooms longer than 40 feet. If the floor area of a given level is over 1,000 square feet you will need additional detectors (NFPA 72-2013, 29.5.1.3).

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You're mostly good if you follow that rule. The detector's coverage is a circle with a radius of 21 feet (NFPA 72-2013, 29.5.1.1.(2)). In most residences, you aren't going to find a hallway for bedrooms longer than 40 feet. If the floor area of a given level is over 1,000 square feet you will need additional detectors (NFPA 72-2013, 29.5.1.3).
That why I asked about post #4, it sounded like the CO alarms were required in the bedrooms too.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Here's some additional information that may help you, especially if you are replacing smoke alarm units in NJ. For the resale of homes NJ building dept's are requiring that residences had to have smoke alarms installed in accordance with the Code requirements at the time the home was built. If there was any construction (i.e additions or alterations) done over the years the smoke detection requirements may have changed

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Here's some additional information that may help you, especially if you are replacing smoke alarm units in NJ. For the resale of homes NJ building dept's are requiring that residences had to have smoke alarms installed in accordance with the Code requirements at the time the home was built. If there was any construction (i.e additions or alterations) done over the years the smoke detection requirements may have changed
Good info, is anyone actually going to do this?

January 1, 2019. The NJ UFC now requires 10-year sealed battery single station smoke alarms to be installed where single station smoke alarms with a removable battery are installed or when no smoke alarms are present. The NJ UFC rules require all single station smoke alarms with a removable battery to be replaced regardless of whether they were just installed last year or if they are older.

Malywr

Yes existing old construction requires smoke and CO battery operated detectors 10 years sealed battery operated devices no more than 10 feet from bedrooms door. I don’t remember code but inspector always were checking that. AC powered devices don’t require 10 years sealed battery
In my case one device would cover both rooms and hallway. Since this is renovation of one bedroom only and I will run power to first device I Ofer installing 2 additional devices in hall hallway and second bedroom because of convenience open ceiling. I will install smoke in all 3 locations but do CO is required also in all 3 locations or just central location like hallway? 1 device only.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Actually, yes they are. As I understand it, if you are selling your home and if it has been vacant for a year or more you will need a new CO (certificate of occupancy). If it has been less than a year you will need a CCO (continued certificate of occupancy). Check with your building dept. but in my township every time a house is sold the fire inspector is called in to inspect the smoke alarms. In addition, they now require a 10lb. ABC fire extinguisher MOUNTED somewhere in the kitchen. Tell that to someone who spent $50K on remodeling their kitchen.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yes existing old construction requires smoke and CO battery operated detectors 10 years sealed battery operated devices no more than 10 feet from bedrooms door. I don’t remember code but inspector always were checking that. AC powered devices don’t require 10 years sealed battery
In my case one device would cover both rooms and hallway. Since this is renovation of one bedroom only and I will run power to first device I Ofer installing 2 additional devices in hall hallway and second bedroom because of convenience open ceiling. I will install smoke in all 3 locations but do CO is required also in all 3 locations or just central location like hallway? 1 device only.
You will need a smoke alarm in the common area of a hallway outside the bedrooms. If you have a long hallway with bedrooms at each end you will need an additional one there as well. You will also need a carbon monoxide alarm unit in that hallway(s). I usually use combo's there but you can use a plug-in unit if you wish. That's the basic requirement for smoke alarms but you can install more throughout the house and I believe the maximum is 12 interconnected units.

Status
Not open for further replies.