CO / Smoke detector clearances

Status
Not open for further replies.

olly

Occupation
Master Electrician
I had an inspector tell me he thought a CO / smoke and a smoke detector had to be a certain distance away from a bathroom door. I cant find said requirement. All I could find is that you shouldn't put one in a bathroom due to steam.

JGinIndy

Occupation
Retired Electrician currently County Inspector
I had an inspector tell me he thought a CO / smoke and a smoke detector had to be a certain distance away from a bathroom door. I cant find said requirement. All I could find is that you shouldn't put one in a bathroom due to steam.
IRC 314.2 and 315.2 3’

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
In know It's in the mfg installation sheet, they recommend against installing near the bathroom door as steam from shower can trigger alarm. Used to have a mobile home that had wood heat. Boil water or take a hot shower the alarm at end of hall would go off, but would occasionally have weather related back draft and opening wood stove would fill home. Air blue with smoke and alarm never sounded.

JGinIndy

Occupation
Retired Electrician currently County Inspector
🤔 IRC 314.3(4) Smoke Alarms shall not be installed within 36” / 3’ from a Bathroom Door where the Bathroom contains a Bathtub or Shower.

Status
Not open for further replies.