Co-Op requires a ground wire to a ground rod on meter base. where do I bond the netural?

Maddwg

Occupation
Retired Industrial Electrician
The meter base is required to be bonded to a ground rod by the Co-Op. The meter base will be installed on a metal building using unistrut along with the disconnect. I have a few questions.
Do I connect the meter base to the disconnect with a rigid nipple or PVC/
Do I need to bond the netural at the disconnect (First means of disconnect)?
And would I need a ground rod for the disconnect?
The Co-Op Grounds the netural at every pole with a ground going to the bottom of the pole.So this is a grounded netural system.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Do it like the illustration below.

1714991997628.png
The nipple can be metallic and the NEC requires two rods and if there are other GE's available they would have to be used too.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Your Choice but PVC might be easier. No bonding bushings required
Yes.
No. The two rods may be connected anywhere from the point of attachment to the disconnect. The coop has indicated their preference is at the meter base.
Most likely.. Are the poles after a transformer?

Maybe think about it this way: everything on the line side and including the service disconnect is bonded to the neutral - this has nothing to do with grounding electrodes which may connect anywhere between the service point and the service disconnect. The utility required ground rod can probably also meet the NEC required grounding electrode, although you will likely need two for the NEC. Metallic nipples and closing service conductors will need to have "service bonding" which is typically a bonding bushing or agrounding lock nut.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
The meter base is required to be bonded to a ground rod by the Co-Op. The meter base will be installed on a metal building using unistrut along with the disconnect. I have a few questions.
Do I connect the meter base to the disconnect with a rigid nipple or PVC/
Do I need to bond the netural at the disconnect (First means of disconnect)?
And would I need a ground rod for the disconnect?
The Co-Op Grounds the netural at every pole with a ground going to the bottom of the pole.So this is a grounded netural system.
One of the things that makes this confusing is, depending on the spec, you may have your neutrals and your grounds going to the same bus bar in the service panel and you may have a separate neutral and ground bus in the main panel. It doesn't change the rules, just the way our brain processes the information. ALWAYS bond your neutral and your ground together at the service disconnect. This wire is sized per 250.102. Always bond the metal enclosure of the service disconnect to the neutral. Also sized per 250.102. Always bond all available grounding electrode conductors to the neutral at or before the first means of disconnect using 250.66. Note the last, I can bring my ground rods to the meter can, using #6 wire. Then bring my building steel and/or Ufer to the ground bar in the panel for example. I can also bring another ground triad in to the panel because my Electrical Engineer likes to over ground things. But if the two ground rods is the only available ground, it is also ok to just bring it to the meter with a #6, but I still have to bond as above.

Maddwg

Occupation
Retired Industrial Electrician
Thanks to everyone that responded. I'll take your advice and go with it. Have a Great Day .:)