Closet rated light fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
so when you have the fixture in hand there will be marking stating/identifying "suitable for installation within the closet storage space." that is what makes it compliant with 410.16(A) (3) & (C) (5)
The product cut sheet identifies the fixture as compliant.

JimmyJoe

Occupation
Master Electrician
I had to go on line to find that it met that code requirement and then print it out for an inspector I have since found another one. It is a Satco 7 inch LED disk light with an integrated occupancy sensor model number 62/1310 I believe that I had to go on the web site to get the confirmation for this one too.

JimmyJoe

Occupation
Master Electrician
Neither of the cut sheets for the 2 lights that I have mentioned showed that they were compliant. I don't know why. But the information is definitely on the web site.

JimmyJoe

Occupation
Master Electrician
The Satco light has a stamp on it that says suitable for closet installation but it doesn't say suitable to install within the storage area. I found that on their web site

gadfly56

Occupation
Neither of the cut sheets for the 2 lights that I have mentioned showed that they were compliant. I don't know why. But the information is definitely on the web site.
Did you go to my link? It's the last sentence of the first paragraph at the very top, under "Description".

"Compliant with NFPA® 70, NEC® Section 410.16 (A)(3) and 410.16 (C)(5)."

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The Halo light says nothing about the closets.

Which Halo light. The one you posted does have it in the paper work.

Halo SLD405930WH

Product overview but I did click on the link but it had CCT-sld405930 wh. I wonder if the CCT is Close Closet -- not sure what the T means-- lower temperature???

he Halo Surface LED Downlight (SLD) incorporates WaveStream technology to create an ultra-low profile surface mounting luminaire with the performance and look of a traditional downlight. SLD4 (4 in.) is designed for installation in many standard and fire-rated 3-1/2 in. and 4 round or octagon junction boxes. Supply wire adapter with LED quick wiring connector included. Suitable for residential or commercial installations. Ideal for closets, storage areas, attics and basements. Compliant with NFPA 70, NEC Section 410.16 (A) (3) and 410.16 (C) (5).

gadfly56

Occupation
The Halo light says nothing about the closets.
Really? I should get paid for this. From the same cut sheet:

Ideal for closets, storage areas, attics and basements.
• Suitable for use in closets, compliant with NFPA® 70, NEC® Section 410.16 (A)(3) and 410.16 (C)(5)

Hit "Ctrl-F", type in "closet" and see two instances.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
you don't get it - to be compliant is to have the marking on the fixture - so for them to claim " Suitable for use in closets, compliant with NFPA® 70, NEC® Section 410.16 (A)(3) and 410.16 (C)(5) " the marking is/shall/must/has to be - on the fixture

Are you sure it isn't on the fixture

JimmyJoe

Occupation
Master Electrician
I have an inspector who is the most knowledgeable person I know when it comes to the NEC and Mass code and who is the strictest inspector that I have dealt with. He has a reputation for being the biggest pain in the rear end when it comes to inspecting jobs here on Cape Cod but has an excellent reputation knowledge wise for being strict but fair. And when I provided him with literature from the manufacturers web site stating that these lights were compliant with 410.16 (A) (3) he accepted that as proof and has allowed us to use these within the storage space. That works for me.

JimmyJoe

Occupation
Master Electrician
Kichler makes one that I'm told everyone uses within the closet storage area. But when I emailed Kichler they refused to state that it could be used within the storage area. They just mention that it can be used in a closet.

Flicker Index

Occupation
Lights
Can you recommend light fixtures for closets?
That would confirm to 416 C5, please.
I only know of wac Invisiled pro 2 led tape.
I am looking for mushrooms, linear leds as well.
where do I find the proof light fixture is such listed.
thank you

Cheap too.

mwm1752

I have an inspector who is the most knowledgeable person I know when it comes to the NEC and Mass code and who is the strictest inspector that I have dealt with. He has a reputation for being the biggest pain in the rear end when it comes to inspecting jobs here on Cape Cod but has an excellent reputation knowledge wise for being strict but fair. And when I provided him with literature from the manufacturers web site stating that these lights were compliant with 410.16 (A) (3) he accepted that as proof and has allowed us to use these within the storage space. That works for me.
He inspects your jobs - he makes the call - agree

mwm1752

I ended up using
Environmentalleds.com
Very awesome company
And they are closet rated.

their waterproof continuous strip was a discovery
UL 2108 does have a specific test for installation within the closet storage area within its scope, but markings for luminaire shall be listed as such. Closet Rated is not a defined term for NRTL testing. Look at some Q Tran products & you will see the difference in labeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.