Closet rated light fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

darekelec

Can you recommend light fixtures for closets?
That would confirm to 416 C5, please.
I only know of wac Invisiled pro 2 led tape.
I am looking for mushrooms, linear leds as well.
where do I find the proof light fixture is such listed.
thank you

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Can you recommend light fixtures for closets?
That would confirm to 416 C5, please.
I only know of wac Invisiled pro 2 led tape.
I am looking for mushrooms, linear leds as well.
where do I find the proof light fixture is such listed.
thank you
I'm assuming you are referring to from 2020 nec 410.16(C)(5). If you look (C) is referencing different clearance requirements for various types of fixtures mentioned in (A), (C)(5) is simply saying that if you use a fixture listed in (A)(3) it must be identified for that purpose.
Regarding the WAC InvisiLED Pro2 I would suggest reaching out to WAC to inquire on that question if you really want to use that product. But I would assume if it meets the criteria in (A)(1) and (C)(1) it shoudn't be an issue.
Also, the code only states product shall be "identified" not necessarily "listed", a slightly less restrictive criteria. With that you can also check with your AHJ for approval.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The only fixture I know about would be the lighted closet rod.

ha-833.71.056-closet-s3.jpg

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I asked UL about this a while back. The reply:
UL Product Category IFDR (Low-voltage Lighting Systems, Power Units, Luminaires and Fittings) covers low-voltage luminaires that have been investigated for use within the storage area of a clothes closet and states that they are so identified within their installation instructions. These products are evaluated to UL 2108. Currently there are several manufacturers of UL Certified luminaires intended for use within the storage space of clothes closets;
The ones I find look like the one Dennis shows but there may be other types.

darekelec

I’m on 2008 and closets in nyc are small . I would like to suggest my client options for closets of different sizes and not be flagged at final.
Thank you Angie 47. That’s a scientific explanation.
A432BE17-5943-4686-8AA7-73F8BF711D67.jpeg

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I’m on 2008 and closets in nyc are small . I would like to suggest my client options for closets of different sizes and not be flagged at final.

Please don't take this wrong but make sure you understand what (5) is talking about. The storage are is not the closet itself but the area defined in 410.10.

In many cases you can install a fluorescent strip light on the wall over the door. This is accepted in many areas

darekelec

I understand that concept of ‘storage space’. Fluorescents are outdated at his point.
surface mounted leds would require 12” clearance.
If I find closet rated fixtures I don’t have to worry about any clearance.
that wac led pro 2 strip costs 160$ for 5’. + channel.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I understand that concept of ‘storage space’. Fluorescents are outdated at his point.
surface mounted leds would require 12” clearance.
If I find closet rated fixtures I don’t have to worry about any clearance.
that wac led pro 2 strip costs 160$ for 5’. + channel.

Yeah we don't use the fluorescent but instead use the led style that looks like the fluorescent

I don't know why the led needs more clearance then the fluorescent -- they must get hotter

mwm1752

I hear all the time "its rated for closet installation" in which I generally reply quite a few are with the compliant clearances. rated to be installed within the closet storage space is a distinctive phrase labeled & used by manufactures for the appropriate fixture. I have found maybe 4-5 fixtures that meet compliance. My understanding is that the closet rod light is an actual appliance & not a fixture. most of them were labeled for commercial use only, that may have changed.

mwm1752

I asked UL about this a while back. The reply:
UL Product Category IFDR (Low-voltage Lighting Systems, Power Units, Luminaires and Fittings) covers low-voltage luminaires that have been investigated for use within the storage area of a clothes closet and states that they are so identified within their installation instructions. These products are evaluated to UL 2108. Currently there are several manufacturers of UL Certified luminaires intended for use within the storage space of clothes closets;
The ones I find look like the one Dennis shows but there may be other types.
I may respectfully disagree as UL 2108 is based on article 411 not 410
1598640688034.png

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Obviously my info was outdated (as am I :)) Thanks I'll remove the link from my computer

mwm1752

Obviously my info was outdated (as am I :)) Thanks I'll remove the link from my computer
Augie, I would say not outdated. UL product Category IFDR does include special product markings, the category does cover lo voltage fixtures of all kinds but like all fixtures there a distinctive markings that shall be labeled & identified.
On a side note the defined area for insulation over non IC recess does make 2 separate comments.

2015 Whitebook Category IFDR
PRODUCT MARKINGS
Luminaires and fittings restricted for connection to a Class 2 source of
supply are identified by product markings.
These luminaires and fittings are intended for surface mounting, suspended
or recessed installation and are marked for either dry, damp or wet
locations. A luminaire or fitting marked for wet locations is rated no more
than 15 V ac or 30 V dc unless live parts are made inaccessible to contact
during normal use. See Luminaires and Fittings (HYXT) for additional
installation markings.
Low-voltage luminaires that have been investigated for use within the
storage area of a clothes closet are so identified on their installation instructions.

Recessed units (luminaires and power units) marked ‘‘Type IC’’ or
‘‘Inherently Protected’’ may be installed in accordance with Section 410.66
of the NEC, such that insulation and other combustible materials are in
contact with and over the top of the unit.
All recessed units not marked ‘‘Type IC’’ or ‘‘Inherently Protected’’ are
intended to be installed such that insulation is not placed over the top or
within 3 inches of the sides of the unit, and other combustible materials
are spaced, except at the points of support, at least 1/2 inch from the unit.
Power units shipped separately from the bare conductor lighting system
are marked to identify the associated bare conductor system series number
and manufacturer.

JimmyJoe

Occupation
Master Electrician
Cooper lighting fixture Halo SLD405930WH can be mounted within the storage space of a closet. Google the fixture and it's specs say that it is compliant with NFPA 70, NEC section 410.16 (A) (3) and 410.16 (C) (5) I could only find this info on line and not in the fixture specs in the box.

mwm1752

Cooper lighting fixture Halo SLD405930WH can be mounted within the storage space of a closet. Google the fixture and it's specs say that it is compliant with NFPA 70, NEC section 410.16 (A) (3) and 410.16 (C) (5) I could only find this info on line and not in the fixture specs in the box.
so when you have the fixture in hand there will be marking stating/identifying "suitable for installation within the closet storage space." that is what makes it compliant with 410.16(A) (3) & (C) (5)

Status
Not open for further replies.