Closet light

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickelec

What are you guys doing for closet lights.

I'm roughing a house for a friend and he doesn't really have a lay out for his closets yet there shallow maybe 24-30"

I was thinking best bet is to just put a linear strip above the door one of those ones that has an angled diffuser

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Id say stay away from incandescent. Becareful with clearance. NEC specifies. If its too small u probably cant put a light.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

You can do led strip around door frame. The ones you stick. To the wall and plug into outlet. They come with remote to control lights and change color.
81bea9671d79c93d089f536a8c354158.jpg
b38aa3607fc8fa2e15fafc9a1ebda1c3.jpg

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We typically will do something like a Lithonia UC8 17 (bigger or smaller depending on the closet) mounted on the header above the door and install an LED bypass bulb.

Line voltage door switches are a major PITA to deal with. We've moved to inexpensive relays with magnetic door sensors. When we install these we put a basic switch inside the closet upstream of the relay as a shutoff.

Rob

Dibloafer911

You shall not pass
Occupation
Controls, estimating, engineering
There are loots of LED puck lights out there that run forever with a couple of batteries and put out a ton of light for a space that small. mount with small screws or even double sided tape.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
There are loots of LED puck lights out there that run forever with a couple of batteries and put out a ton of light for a space that small. mount with small screws or even double sided tape.
If he’s roughing in a house, why would he do this? There is no sheetrock installed yet, rough in boxes for a light and a switch

Dibloafer911

You shall not pass
Occupation
I couldn't agree more, just rough in a small can light with a wall switch and get on with your life (not to be rude). However, the OP made it sound like they were looking for a different option than the obvious one that was stated here.

The fact you doing Small closet. Led strip around door gives more light all around rater than one light above door .

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

nickelec

The problem is with a can once you put a shelf in the it blocks all the light I'm just looking for something that will work and kind of cover all bases usually a light above the door even with shelves will brighten it up enough to be worth the time and effort of roughing it in the first place

Dibloafer911

You shall not pass
Occupation
The problem is with a can once you put a shelf in the it blocks all the light I'm just looking for something that will work and kind of cover all bases usually a light above the door even with shelves will brighten it up enough to be worth the time and effort of roughing it in the first place

Sounds like you already have your answer on what will work best! running lights down each side of the door jamb sounds like overkill for an itty-bitty closet, but hey, whatever creams your twinkie

joebeadg

what I think would work well are those wafer type recessed LED fixtures mounted on each side of the closet door so be pointing straight in to the closet. Unfortunitly they are listed for ceiling mount, no mention of wall mount.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
You can do led strip around door frame. The ones you stick. To the wall and plug into outlet. They come with remote to control lights and change color.
81bea9671d79c93d089f536a8c354158.jpg
b38aa3607fc8fa2e15fafc9a1ebda1c3.jpg
I generally use old work cut in LED wafer lights that clip in...

This is awesome though!

I can’t wait until someone asks me to put in a closet light...

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I generally use old work cut in LED wafer lights that clip in...

This is awesome though!

I can’t wait until someone asks me to put in a closet light...

And how can you do that if the lights are listed for the storage area. Do you know how far the Led needs to be from storage space.

Status
Not open for further replies.