Clearance for meter base

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
We have a 4 apartment meter base. 30” wide including breakers. I assume clearance required is 3 feet in front of the meters ? And 30” wide like for indoor panels? They want to set an AC unit close to it. thanks

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Our POCOs dictate their own working clearance requirements in front of meters.

NEC clearance requirements are in 110.26.

Rob

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The NEC requires 30" wide by 36" deep in front of the equipment for working space.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
And if I’m not mistaken the meter is the ONLY thing that can protrude into that space.

Carultch

We have a 4 apartment meter base. 30” wide including breakers. I assume clearance required is 3 feet in front of the meters ? And 30” wide like for indoor panels? They want to set an AC unit close to it. thanks

The 3 ft depth is what applies when your nominal voltage is not greater than 150V to ground, and it is 3 ft in all conditions. Most residential applications are either 120/240V split phase, or 120/208V derived from two phases and a neutral of a WYE system. When voltage nominal to ground exceeds 150V, it isn't always 3 ft depth that applies. It depends on what kind of surface is at your back (insulated, conductive/grounded, or common aisle).

The working space starts at the cover of your equipment, and extends backwards. The meter globe is allowed to penetrate the workspace. If there is no POCO requirement telling you otherwise, the NEC also allows raceways to stick into your workspace up to 6 inches, such as a wire trough.

Status
Not open for further replies.