Class1, Divison D, above ground gasoline dispensing tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

shade23

I have a farm customer that wants to put an above ground 500 gallon gasoline dispensing tank for farm equipment. It has the pump motor on top of the tank and he wants to put it next to 2, 500 gallon above ground diesel fuel tanks. The diesel fuel tanks are fed underground and they do not have any explosion proof wiring. What should the separation between the gasoline and diesel tanks be? To be on the safe side I feel that there should be a 25 foot separation and that is because all the tanks I have seen in the past get moved around. I read one article where there only needs to be 5 feet separation but that puzzles me. I feel the gasoline tank is a Class1, Division D. Thank You

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Diesel fuel is not considered hazardous and is not classified, but I don't know about separation from gasoline. The NEC states in 500.4 that areas designated as hazardous shall be properly documented. A common explination here is its not the installers job to determine the classification but to install per the documentation provided. Your AHJ could ask for the documentation. Since this is a farm it may not require or have a permit. IMO, it would be wise to get the appropriate documentation for liability. Perhaps the supplier of the gasoline tank could assist with documentation

Status
Not open for further replies.