Class1 Divison 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccha9219

I have a small spray booth in the back of an enclosed room that measures 10'x30' with a roll up door at one end.
The spray booth itself is no bigger than a typical computer desk, set in the corner at the back of the room. there is a explosion proof fan and light on the booth itself. The question is
Is the entire room a spray booth or can I go by the 20/10 around the small booth? :confused:

benaround

Re: Class1 Divison 1

THE WHOLE AREA IS CONSIDERED CLASS 1 DIV. 1 UNTIL SEPERATED BY PARTITION OR OTHER APPROVED MEANS.CHECK OUT 516 IN THE 1999 N.E.C.

ccha9219

I have, That's way I'm asking, the vent. system is not interlocked with the spraying equipment, but the "booth" is a UL listed assembly with ventilation and lighting in an enclosed room 30' long. so the class 1 division 1 would be 20' from the booth and 10' above. Or do I go by 516-2-b-2
and treat the whole room as a spray booth?

ryan_618

It sounds to me like 516.3(D) applies, makeing the surrounding area an unclassified area. This would only apply, however, if it has no communiacting openings. Is that the case?

benaround

IF THIS IS AN OPEN FACED ,CLOSED TOP BOOTH THAT YOU HAVE THEN YOU CAN USE 516-2(B)(2)AND THAT IS A SMALLER AREA.

ccha9219

It is an open faced closed top booth, so the lights in the room must be explosion proof
thanks for the input
craig

friebel

To: ccha9219
If I were you and wanted to do this job properly the first time this is what I would do.
1. I would draw up a plan view using Article 516.3(A)(2)Closed-Top, Open-Face, and Open-Front Spraying.
You said that your exhaust system is not interlocked with the spray application. This means you would use 516.3(B)(b), which states, Class I, Division 2 location shall extend 10 feet horizontaly and 3 feet vertically from the open front of the booth.
After that distance the area will be classified as a non-hazardous area and you do not need explosion-proof lighting fixtures, or equipment in that area.
2.After you have drawn up this plan with the NEC Articles noted, I would contact the local AHJ inspector and get his approval for your plan.
After his approval, I would wire all equipment up, but I would not pour any seals until the inspector approved your installation. I then would pour the explosion-proof seals and you can be confident that you have a first-class installation.

ccha9219

I have wired the "room" from above and outside.
so no seal offs are required inside. I had the contractor cut slots in the wall and install Plexiglass panels in j cannel for lighting, silicon at the seams. So all electrical conections are outside the room except for the fan and light at the booth. Seal tight to a seal off outside the room...explosion proof disco for fan,light switch outside roll up door with dust proof cover...inspector pleased.I'm pleased and so is the customer
thanks all
Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.