class1 div 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
are seal offs required if conduit runs through classs 1 div 1. Or any conduits that run thru class 1 div 2

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
Little more info. We located a conduit running underground through a fuel dispensing area or gas pumps. The conduit runs across the class 1 div 1 area underground to feed a sign. WOuld a seal off be required at both ends, as it leaves store to the sign. does the class1 div extend underground?

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Little more info. We located a conduit running underground through a fuel dispensing area or gas pumps. The conduit runs across the class 1 div 1 area underground to feed a sign. WOuld a seal off be required at both ends, as it leaves store to the sign. does the class1 div extend underground?
I have always “heard” underground is non classified so passing through an Area underground that is class 1 above ground wouldn’t classify that below ground as a hazardous location as long as the raceway didn’t come out and emerge out of the ground in any classified areas on either side . Like I said thats what I have just been taught not that I have seen for myself in the code so don’t take that as an answer. (although I should research myself)
I would like to see what others have to say and references.

Greentagger

Occupation
Master Electrician, Electrical Inspector
Yes -seals required on both sides of boundary, if conduit passes within 20’ of dispenser. Refer to Table 514.3(B)(1).

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Yes -seals required on both sides of boundary, if conduit passes within 20’ of dispenser. Refer to Table 514.3(B)(1).
While I believe that it would be a good idea to have seal off as well. Can below grade considered a classified area? I’m just curious - not doubting.

Greentagger

Occupation
Master Electrician, Electrical Inspector
According to 514.8, underground is not classified, but states how raceways are to be run under the Classified area. If you install your raceways in the 20’ area as forementioned you are required to seal both ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.