Class II, Div 2 Switches and Pilot Lights for Hazardous Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

DM2-Inc

502.115(B) States:
"...enclosures for fuses, switches, circuit breakers, and motor controllers, including push buttons, relays, and similar devices, shall be dusttight or otherwise identified for the location"
I'm looking for switches and pilot lights for a Class II, Division 2 locations and want to mount them in a NEMA 4X Enclosure. The voltage is 24 VDC (ref 502.25). I'm not seeing a lot of switches and lights, with a certification for Class II, Division 2 locations.

Can I simply use push buttons and pilot lights rated as NEMA 4, or 4X?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
What is the Group? Other than for Group E, a "dusttight" enclosure is sufficient. See Table 110.28 IN No. 1 for enclosure Types that are recognized to be "dusttight".

DM2-Inc

I'm not sure about the Group.
With regard the Switches and Lights, I don't see a "Class II, Div 2" certified Light, which leads me to believe that a weatherproof light, which would have a rubber gasket, or rated NEMA 4X (not sure NEMA 4, or 4X would apply to a switch or light), would be acceptable by code?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
I'm not sure about the Group.
With regard the Switches and Lights, I don't see a "Class II, Div 2" certified Light, which leads me to believe that a weatherproof light, which would have a rubber gasket, or rated NEMA 4X (not sure NEMA 4, or 4X would apply to a switch or light), would be acceptable by code?
If you don't know the Group, someone (not necessarily you) is already in violation of Section 500.4(A). What material is the dust?

StarCat

Industrial Engineering Tech
Occupation
Imdustrial Engineering Technician - HVACR Electrical and Mechanical Systems
Eaton 10250T/E34
Pushbuttons and Indicating Lights for Class 1, DIV.2 Locations.
I installed some of these. The contact blocks are a trick and the first ones sent did not work correctly.
Tech support somehow got it sorted out with a different part number. They can be configured with 24V lamps. LED bulbs are available.

Attachments

• Control Panel 1rsz.jpg
    Control Panel 1rsz.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 9
  • CP1-3.jpg
    CP1-3.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 9

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Eaton 10250T/E34
Pushbuttons and Indicating Lights for Class 1, DIV.2 Locations.
I installed some of these. The contact blocks are a trick and the first ones sent did not work correctly.
Tech support somehow got it sorted out with a different part number. They can be configured with 24V lamps. LED bulbs are available.
You did notice the OP is asking about Class II, right?

StarCat

Industrial Engineering Tech
Occupation
Imdustrial Engineering Technician - HVACR Electrical and Mechanical Systems
I totally overlooked that. Sorry for that. I am currently running with one eye patched for going on 8 weeks now, and I miss a lot of detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.