Class I Divison II Cabling

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am investigating some new cabling to replace conduit and i am getting two different requirements from two different vendors. I want to use a multi-conductor cable that has screw type quick connect. One vendor is telling me that the cable must have an addtional locking or set screw to meet the requirements for C1D2 and the other is saying that is not necessary. Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
It would help to know the type of "new cabling" you are considering. It can't be too new though since there are only a limited number of multiconductor cables recognized as suitable for Division 2 and they have all been around a few years now. They are listed in [2005] 501.10(B)(4) through (6).

Sorry if i was not clear. I have attached a link to a pdf file on Turck's site. In the footnotes of Page 1 they identify that you must use a part number with a "T" or "L" for C1D2. This references the two connectors on the bottom of Page 2 of the pdf and these connectors have an addtional collar with a set screw to lock the the cordset to the bulkhead connector. The Turck rep states this is required becuase the connection must require a tool for removal in a C1D2 area. I have rep from another company that is peddling a similar cable with a connector similar to the ones on the top of Page 2 of the pdf that have no set screw or locking method and claims that a locking connector or set screw is not required in C1D2 only n C1D1. Which one is correct??

http://www.turck-usa.com/illustrations/B4101_91-92.pdf

justdavemamm

I recently did a Class I Division 2 system that was AS-i bus and used Turck screw connectors. We had to use the "LOKFAST GUARD" over the connectors to prevent easy removal.

It doesn't have a setscrew, but does need a small flat blade screwdriver to open it up so that the connector can be unscrewed & removed.

All in all, I've found Turck people to be some of the best when telling me what I need.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
This is what the NEC actually says with regard to the cabling systems noted in the Turck referenced document (Types PLTC and ITC):

501.10(B)(1) General. In Class I, Division 2 locations, the following wiring methods shall be permitted:
?
(4) Type PLTC cable in accordance with the provisions of Article 725, or in cable tray systems. PLTC shall be installed in a manner to avoid tensile stress at the termination fittings.
(5) Type ITC cable as permitted in 727.4.
It doesn?t say much about the OP; however, did you also check the ?Control Drawing? reference at the bottom of the page (its 43 pages long ? I don?t intend to analyze it for you). The NEC does require you to follow the Control Drawing [501.10(B)(3) or 504.10(A)].

Status
Not open for further replies.