Class I Div 1 24VDC NEC Class 2 power distribution box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Srknet

Occupation
R&D engineer
Hello,
I need the 24VDC NEC class 2 power supply for CIDI instrument, for that if I take any CID1 approved junction box and put the NEC class 2 AC-DC power supply in it and run the cables for in and out through RMC conduit fitting and seal off then do I need to certify the box from UL or similar body or is it allowed to use the junction box as is if installed according to NEC codes in the Hazardous area ? Thanks in advance !

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
At the moment, I'm responding only to the question of the junction box.

If the junction box is already approved for Class I, Division 1, it must be because it is using a recognized protection technique listed in Section 500.7. Most likely it will be explosionproof and will already be listed.

Srknet

Occupation
R&D engineer
At the moment, I'm responding only to the question of the junction box.

If the junction box is already approved for Class I, Division 1, it must be because it is using a recognized protection technique listed in Section 500.7. Most likely it will be explosionproof and will already be listed.
Thanks, The Explosion proof box is already certified for cID1 but when you place the power supply inside, do we need to certify box with power supply again or is it acceptable under NEC codes without any NRTL approval.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
The explosionproof enclosure simply makes it suitable for Class I, Division 1. The question then becomes whether the power supply is certified as a complete assembly apart from its enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.