Class 2 circuits

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

wireday

Occupation
Master electrician
It does not say class 2 on the controller,where it is not a actual power supply does it matter? It is UL listed just doesn't mention class 2. There is no plug on the encoder, hbiss I thank you for your help,but if your not interested please ignore this thread.I would like to hear another opinion.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Well, I just looked at the controller too. Somebody did say that there was a connector for the encoder and a line cord for the power in this or your other duplicate thread. Both have lots of confused information.

In actuality there is a screw terminal barrier strip on the back with 5 positions. The line voltage shares the strip with the low voltage. So you will have to strip and terminate both the LV cable and the line cord using their individual conductors. It is the conductors we are talking about, and when you terminate them on the barrier strip screw terminals, don't strip the jackets so that you have an excess and just route one pair to the right and the other to the left so the LV and line conductors off the screws are as far away from each other as possible. Once past the stripped jacket, there is no requirement for separation. The cables themselves can be even ty-rapped together.

Of course you could avoid this by using a 24V version with a plug-in power supply. Incidentally, if the power supply is labeled Class 2 the whole controller and encoder is Class 2. I also have to believe that the 120V powered version is also Class 2 for the LV, though it won't matter if you dress the wiring off your barrier strip as I said.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.