Class 1 Division 1 location.

Status
Not open for further replies.

reyamkram

I have a class 1 division 1 location, on and older machine, we are doing some up grades, the company wants to relocate the E-stops,
I need to bring them up to the 2014 cycle NEC. E -stops are going to be in mounted in places where I will need to use flexible wiring methods, like liquidtight. 501.10 (A) (2)

I do not see and mention of liquidtight, Question, can I use liquidtight in a class 1 division 1 location, ??? I will be using explosionproof boxes and fittings, with seal offs.

Thank you, for any and all information

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I will need to use flexible wiring methods, like liquidtight. 501.10 (A) (2)

I do not see and mention of liquidtight,

350.10 Uses Permitted. LFMC shall be permitted to be used
in exposed or concealed locations as follows:
(2) In hazardous (classified) locations where specifically
permitted by Chapter 5

501.10 Wiring Methods. Wiring methods shall comply with
501.10(A) or (B).

I think you already answered your own question.

reyamkram

Ok, in 501.10 (B) in my 2014 NEC, is for class 1 division 2, I have a class 1 division 1 location. I do not see where regular liquidtight is Ok to use in a class 1 division 1 location. and 350.10 reads, as permitted in 501.10 (B), and that reads for a class 1 division 2 location. or am I missing somthing.

Thank you.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Ok, in 501.10 (B) in my 2014 NEC, is for class 1 division 2, I have a class 1 division 1 location. I do not see where regular liquidtight is Ok to use in a class 1 division 1 location. and 350.10 reads, as permitted in 501.10 (B), and that reads for a class 1 division 2 location. or am I missing somthing.

Thank you.
I think you are on the right track. They did change the language a bit from 2014 to 2017 apparently. Perhaps that is because there are other parts of chapter 5 that might allow you to use LFMC in a division 1 area. See 504.20.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
See Section 501.10(A)(2). Note it is not limiting the methods to motor applications; motors are simply an example. You will most likely use 501.10(A)(2)(1).

reyamkram

Ok, thank you, I still do not see it mention liquid tight, 501.10 (A) (2), Flexible Connections, (1) flexible fittings listed for the location, and (2) reads flexible coards in accordance with the provisions on 501.140, and that talks about flexible cords.

Now 501.10 (B) (2), pacifically mentions (4) liquidtight, for class 1 division 2 location.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
LFMC is not suitable for Class I, Division 1 except as part of an Intrinsically Safe system. [Art 504]

EDIT ADD: Explosionproof Flexible Couplings are suitable. They are very expensive but can also replace explosionproof unions, if necessary.

Last edited:

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
LFMC is not suitable for Class I, Division 1 except as part of an Intrinsically Safe system. [Art 504]

EDIT ADD: Explosionproof Flexible Couplings are suitable. They are very expensive but can also replace explosionproof unions, if necessary.
They are also extremely stiff, "flexible" in this case meaning mostly "not RMC", and most certainly not flexible like LFMC. I did a quick search and found a General Cable product that looks like it might be suitable (Type TC-ER-HL), what do you think?

General Cable Brochure

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
They are also extremely stiff, "flexible" in this case meaning mostly "not RMC", and most certainly not flexible like LFMC. I did a quick search and found a General Cable product that looks like it might be suitable (Type TC-ER-HL), what do you think?

General Cable Brochure
I'd say Type TC-ER-HL was already recognized in Section 501.10(A)(2) as mentioned above in Post #5. The OP was fixated on LFMC and Explosionproof Flexible Couplings are the nearest analog. I'd also say Type TC-ER-HL has some very specific and rather restrictive installation requirements that can be easily overlooked, but the product itself is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.