Class 1, Div 2, Group C & D Instrument

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELR

How can a manufacturer provide an FM approved device (Non-Incendive, CL1, DIV2, GPA, B, C, D, T4 analyzer/transmitter) that comes with its own (non-explosion-proof, non-purged) enclosure with several RELAY output contacts within and power supply input requirements of 24-253V (ac/dc) in light of 2005 NEC501.10(B)(4) and 501.105(B)(1)?
On the label is
"WARNING - Explosion Hazard - DO NOT DISCONNECT EQUIPMENT UNLESS POWER HAS BEEN SWITCHED OFF OR THE AREA IS KNOWN TO BE NON-HAZARDOUS."
AND
"WARNING - BONDING BETWEEN CONDUIT IS NOT AUTOMATIC AND MUST BE PROVIDED AS PART OF THE INSTALLATION. SEE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS."

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The only issue I can see would be the relay contacts, but there are relays with sealed contacts that are suitable for Class I, Division 2 locations. If such a relay is used, I see no code issues.
Don

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Check 501.105(B)(1) Exception (3).

Key here is Nonincendive circuits mut be installed per a "Control Drawing." See 501.10(B)(3). This applies to the application of the equipment as well. See the definition of Control Drawing in Section 500.2

Status
Not open for further replies.