Class 1 DIV 2 for diesel fuel generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

vptran

HI EVERYONE,

I have a diesel fuel generator in an enclosure. Can this be classified as CLASS 1 DIV. 2?? and if yes, should the conduit seal off be 18 in. away from the enclosure?

Thanks,

Vinh

vptran

well the unit is outside...and i have a conduit going to it...this is a backup generator. I was looking through the code book, and diesel fuel (gasoline) is considered a flammable liquid...so shouldn't you classify that??

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
vptran,
and diesel fuel (gasoline) is considered a flammable liquid
In general diesel is a combustible and not a flammable and as such does not require classification. Gasoline is a flammable and does require classification.
Don

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Your questions are reasonable but diesel in not a gasoline; it is an oil and, as Don said, it is a combustible material.

There is a technical distinction in the NFPA fire codes between flammable and combustible materials. Flammable materials can be ignited by a spark under most common conditions, a combustible material must be heated fairly well above 100 degrees in order to be ignited.

ryan_618

Bob, it seems to me that the flash point of diesel is just barely above 100 degrees F. With that in mind, should you classify an area that is in Phoenix or Las Vegas, for example?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Ryan,
My references show #2 diesel with a flash point above 130. #1 has a flash point close to 100, but that is not common in warm temperatures.
Don

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Ryan,
In this area it will be #2 until late Oct or early Nov and then go to a blend for the winter. #2 can gel up at about 20 degrees or so. #2 is the most common fuel grade. #1 is also known as kerosene.

Don

NoVA Comms Power

hardworkingstiff said:
Anyone see a MSDS on the new low sulpher diesel? I haven't and was wondering if the flash point changed.
The minimum flash point for #2 is the same regardless of it's sulfur content.

Winter blending (using #1) -- necessary to lower the cloud and pour points -- may lower the flashpoint of the product actually sold, however the minimum flash point remains 100 deg in these circumstances.

See example of Chevron's Western region product info at:
http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/diesel/WR_Diesel_Exchange.shtm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.