Class 1 div 1 exterior lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moondance

Occupation
Electrician
I am feeding wall packs on the exterior of the building. Inside the building is a class 1, div. 1 location. The exterior of the building is a non-classified area.
Is it necessary to have a seal off at each wall pack

cpickett

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Sealoff within 18" (either side) of the boundary so I would think yes. Alternatively I suppose you could come through the wall in one location (one sealoff) and then run conduit on the ouside of the building to each light. May not want to do that for various reasons (physical or aesthetic) though.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Is it necessary to have a seal off at each wall pack?
I am more-or-less endorsing the previous answer but trying to be more specific. Each raceway wall penetration must be sealed within 18 inches of the boundary as required in Section 501.15(A)(4). Neither of the Exceptions applies to the installation as you have described it. This can be difficult since no union, coupling, box, or other fitting except for a listed explosionproof reducer installed at the conduit seal is permitted between the seal and the boundary.

nhee2

I am more-or-less endorsing the previous answer but trying to be more specific. Each raceway wall penetration must be sealed within 18 inches of the boundary as required in Section 501.15(A)(4). Neither of the Exceptions applies to the installation as you have described it. This can be difficult since no union, coupling, box, or other fitting except for a listed explosionproof reducer installed at the conduit seal is permitted between the seal and the boundary.
the requirement for boundary seal is 10' from the boundary, correct? Not 18"? Must be the first fitting on either side.

Status
Not open for further replies.