Clamp-On Meters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be attending a marketing research meeting in two weeks concerning clamp-on ammeters as an electrician that uses them. I'm in the position that I use whatever is supplied by the contractor,so I would like to go to the table with a little more input.

I personally like multimeter features because I don't take current readings every day, and would like to carry the fewest number of meters. I bought a Fluke T5 and holster to replace my Wiggy for that reason, even tho the Wiggy still worked.

I sure would like to see a case for the meter that could take the abuse of a gang box and service truck.

Are the Navy and POCO are the only ones that get their meters calibrated?

Which features are most important to you? What kind of meter would you get if you had the opportunity to make the choice and why?

Thanx.

zog

Re: Clamp-On Meters

Well they should be rated for the appropriate Catagory per IEC 1010, for most industrial guys that means Cat III.

NETA testing companies require all meters to be calibrated. We prefer Fluke 87 series meters, but I also have a T-5 (My case is wimpy too).

peteo

I can only give you input from my manufacturing experience, mainly with regular multimeters. I had a Beckman RMS 225 for years, which will always be my standard of excellence. What goes first is the 10A fuse, so I ended up with a clamp-on in my desk. You'll know more than I would about getting into specific spots with the clamp apparatus, but perhaps these notes will be of some value.

Beckman held test leads properly. Ubiquitous Flukes, provided by employer or not, seemed made to destroy the leads. Looks cheap, like a corporation which can't give you information without cookies, etc.

Beckman display updated 'just right,' where the Flukes all had racing bar graphs, rendering them useless by comparison.

Beckman sampling rate for MIN/MAX figures was updated, properly, to ignore spikes. Some flukes were programmable, but 99% would pick up spikes and record them - I stopped using them altogether as data recording devices.

My employer went ISO in 2001, at which time all the 'weights and measures' started regular calibration. Meters and high pot testers, as well as torque wrenches, were looked at for probably the first time. Any ISO registrar would require this.

mario

I personally use a T-5 ... I like the shape (for access to wires to be checked) and its ruggedness. I've used this one for 6 years now. I been told that it doesn't read "true RMS", but to be honest, I'm not sure how that effects my readings (any input there would be cool) ... I lke it ... M ... :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.