CHLORINE

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZJeff2013

Occupation
Electrical Design / RCDD
We are designing a church and need to chlorinate the incoming water. We have a small closet/storage room which houses the water softener along with a small 2 gallon chlorine tank and pump. No bulk chlorine will be stored in this room. Is this a NEC hazardous location? Even if not hazardous should I install corrosive environment light fixture, etc...?

Thanks for any input!

Jeff
Marion, IL

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
In 38 years working for large water utility I wired a lot of chlorine rooms. Liquid chlorine is much less corrosive than gas, but still I recommend: PVC conduit, NMLT flex, vapor proof lights (BegelliI is a good fluorescent), PVC boxes, covers etc. You'll want a fan with louvers, and an intake lover with motor (graingers is a good source). I like to have the fan on a timer or run it at a low speed all the time, and then have a switch to kick it to high when the room is occupied.

Why do you need to add chlorine? Do you have someone experienced in chlorine dosing and monitoring?

How will you control the pump? Will you measure chlorine residual and adjust pump speed? We use prominet pumps https://prominent.us/ and they are a peristaltic type pump, pretty easy to set.

If you are dosing off a well, your demand should be constant and once you determine that, the dosing pump can probably run off a sail switch in the well discharge line. I would suggest a flowmeter in line, so you can keep track of your gallons produced and chlorine used.

Last edited:

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
For indoor commercial pools, the chemical crocks of acid and liquid chlorine are generally in a separate, vented room. Peristaltic pumps, such as Stenner brand, feed the chemicals based on a control system that reads the levels.

This is different. Some water softeners have a small tank for chlorine that feeds chlorine into the system. In my own home I have a water softener and purifier to remove iron. (brown stains) My softener does not have a separate chlorine tank. I have a brine tank I fill with salt. With each new bag, I add some bleach to clean/sanitize the new salt and let it sit for 2 hours and then backwash the system.

I can tell you people who store chlorine tabs in a shed, with say their rails and ladders over the winter, find a rusted mess come spring. The pails of chlorine never seal off completely. Any other metallic items with corrode.

I suspect if this 2 gallon tank you speak of is not sealed, it will corrode everything. Best to follow what previous posts say to use for electrical materials that don't corrode.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
They've decide to store 55 gal drums of chlorine at the town pool here, right next to the pump and panel

I've 'wire brushed' it out in the past

But now the '20 is all about forgoing such 'reconditioning'

~RJ~

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
Last commercial outdoor pool I built, the chemical crocks were outside in separate pen that was lockable. The tubing for the feeds ran through the building into injectors on the PVC pipe. A control system read and fed with a Stenner pump as needed to control dosage. That was set near the equipment, indoors.

Status
Not open for further replies.