Children with access to my apartments main power. Multifamily housing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Occupant
I live in a multifamily housing complex with a total of 112 units.
I was without power for 3 hours yesterday, I checked the website for outages and there were none.
I reported it to my electric company and they said that they had heard the children in my complex had been running around turning people’s power off.
They came out and confirmed this was the case and flipped my switch back on.
Who, what, when, where, why and how?!?!?
I walked around my complex today and took pictures of every single breaker box on every single building. At least 10-12 were unlocked and accessible. 5 of them right there in the playground area.
Isn’t there some sort of code or rule against this? How is it ok that anybody who takes a notion can just walk up and turn the main power in my apartment off?
It doesn’t seem right that children should readily have access to something like this on any level. Is there something I can do? Someone I can tell? Is there a code?
Please help.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Talk to your landlord. You can use a padlock on the breaker panel cover, best would be a masterkey system or combination lock so maint has access. There may be some local rules we dont know about, so are unable to assist further.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Not only is there no code against it, the newest code is REQUIRING it now (for 1 and 2 unit residences, so technically it wouldn't have applied to a complex anyway). But as mentioned, there is no problem with locking it. Firefighters will just cut the lock off, but your landlord will likely want keyed access so if they provide the locks with a master key system, problem solved all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.