Charging outlet below flood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npstewart

I know flood issues probably isn't an issue that most people deal with on this forum but they're relatively common here in FL where a lot of times the entire first floor of a house is below flood elevation.

I have a project where the owner wants to install a Tesla charging outlet below flood. The FEMA flood manual essentially says that an outlet can be installed below flood if its completely necessary, but it has to be protected from a flood event. Any recommendations for some sort of waterproof box that can be used to protect a Tesla plug?

Thanks!

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I'm not familiar with flood issue installations.

If the entire first floor of a house is below flood elevation, what determines what outlets are completely necessary, and, how do you protect normal switches and receptacle outlets for normal every day use?

JAP>

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Put the charger above the flood level and get a longer cord for the car. :)

JAP>
If you continue to make sense you will be asked to leave...... 😄
But if the entire first floor is below flood level you're on your own.😄

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Put the charger above the flood level and get a longer cord for the car. :)

JAP>
Can anyone say whether the charging cords with proprietary connectors for the car end are available in different lengths? Or can they be fabricated in the field?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Can anyone say whether the charging cords with proprietary connectors for the car end are available in different lengths? Or can they be fabricated in the field?
They make longer cords, but are not legal to use (China). Had a customer years ago that wanted the charge controller on the dock, but it wouldn’t reach the EV.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I have a project where the owner wants to install a Tesla charging outlet below flood. The FEMA flood manual essentially says that an outlet can be installed below flood if its completely necessary, but it has to be protected from a flood event. Any recommendations for some sort of waterproof box that can be used to protect a Tesla plug?

No box or enclosure is going to protect the receptacle from submersion. If the outlet is deemed allowable, best you can do is put it on a GFCI.

Hmmm, how about something like a sump pump float with a long rod up to a cut-off switch located above the flood level that has to be manually reset. :cool:

-Hal

Todd0x1

HBL777A is a 2g flip cover that fits a 2.44 dia nema 14-50R and seals tighter than the residential grade ones. Doubt any of this stuff offers protection from being submerged though.

There are some pin and sleeve connectors that talk about protection when submerged. Maybe one of those and a pin+sleeve to 14-50R adapter........ that would be big and somewhat expensive though.

Terminator5047

Occupation
Electrician
Pretty sure the cords have smaller gage wire and got some kind of special up listing to bypass nec ampicitys so the cords can maintain flexibility

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I know flood issues probably isn't an issue that most people deal with on this forum but they're relatively common here in FL where a lot of times the entire first floor of a house is below flood elevation.

Thanks!

Are you on a river or the coast?

If you’re on the coast, even though the house may be elevated on piers, the floodplain is likely between 0’-3’. I’ve wired beachfront houses in the panhandle that are less than 100 yds from the water and the floodplain elevation at the house was 0’.

If you’re on a river bank, it could very likely be up to 10’. But it depends on the river and where. Quoted a job a few weeks ago on the Suwannee river, and the meter had to be built 15’ up a pole with a staircase and landing. I just sold a job on the St John’s river in Jacksonville and at that site the floodplain for this site was less than a foot.

I would discuss with AHJ what the level is at your site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

retirede

J1772 extension cords are sold on Amazon. I’ve never seen one that is UL listed (don’t know if there is even a listing category or spec for these).

hillbilly1

Occupation
J1772 extension cords are sold on Amazon. I’ve never seen one that is UL listed (don’t know if there is even a listing category or spec for these).
I can’t remember if it’s NEC or UL, but the length is limited to X amount of feet, so it would be non-compliant to use one. Don’t know what the reasoning is behind the limit.

retirede

I can’t remember if it’s NEC or UL, but the length is limited to X amount of feet, so it would be non-compliant to use one. Don’t know what the reasoning is behind the limit.

625.17(C) limits the length to 25’ unless the EVSE includes a “cable management system”.
I didn’t look up the definition of cable management system, but guessing something like a cord reel???

My guess is that the reason is to minimize potential damage to the cable by having excess lying around where it can be driven over......etc?

Srv52761

Occupation
Energy Manager
Rube Goldberg solution.
install the junction box on the ceiling closer to the car.
Retractable reel, similar to an air hose reel. If that is an issue, retractable reel with rope, attach the rope to the cable just short of the plug. It keeps the plug up 9’ (typical garage height around here), so the only thing getting wet is the cable.

Attach a flotation like Hal suggested to shut everything down, just in case

hillbilly1

Occupation
625.17(C) limits the length to 25’ unless the EVSE includes a “cable management system”.
I didn’t look up the definition of cable management system, but guessing something like a cord reel???

My guess is that the reason is to minimize potential damage to the cable by having excess lying around where it can be driven over......etc?
The ones I have seen, had an arm overhead with a cable tension reel.

Status
Not open for further replies.