Charge “Half-Day” or “Full-Day”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
So you get the same per hour when you quote wiring a house vs say installing a 1000A commercial service?
pretty much .. if a house takes 24 hrs and a 1000A Service takes 24 hrs whats the difference, although I'd make more money on the 1000A service products used through practical markups.

That's like saying to a mechanic that's rebuilding my engine or replacing my break system should have different labor rates ... no, the engine will take much longer chances are therefor costing me that much more.

Billing is up to the installer. Now if I was an instrumentation expert I'd probably have an hourly rate much higher, because I may only be there for 1 hour and the knowledge I'd have based on the extensive training would justify such a charge, like a lawyer they charge 300.00 per hour for talking.

True ... that's why I dont bother anymore trying to compete with track home bids, there is plenty of work in many other facets of our industry.

I am not even talking tract homes, I meant custom homes. I just have a hard time imagining someone using the same hourly figure across the spectrum of different jobs - some things pay better than others. Recently I did a home for a bout 20k, ballpark 200 hours, 10 materials, so that is $50 hr. I did a 480V three phase 200A service, 2 grand materials tops, think I charged them $7500. Took me like 30 hours = $183/hr.

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
Recently I did a home for a bout 20k, ballpark 200 hours, 10 materials, so that is $50 hr. I did a 480V three phase 200A service, 2 grand materials tops, think I charged them $7500. Took me like 30 hours = $183/hr.
The 200A Service was a killer Job, I'd say stay away from the 50.00 hr jobs because between the 2 jobs at 27,500 - 3,000 mat. you made 106.52 hr, still better than my rate.

Rdcowart

Occupation
Electrical license Holder
no matter what i quote I do a 50% gross profit mark up. I’m going to make sure it’s worth my time. I charge $80 diagnostic fee to come out and take a look at their situation and evaluate their entire electrical system. A lot of times I find extra underlying issues and can sale extra needed repairs. Sale more work at the same job truck never moves what a way to be more efficient. I will give the customer 3 to 6 options and let them choose what they would like to do. Doing this method gets about a 90% conversion rate on sold jobs. About 60% of customers will choose the middle option, which includes what they called me for plus something extra.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
no matter what i quote I do a 50% gross profit mark up. I’m going to make sure it’s worth my time. I charge $80 diagnostic fee to come out and take a look at their situation and evaluate their entire electrical system. A lot of times I find extra underlying issues and can sale extra needed repairs. Sale more work at the same job truck never moves what a way to be more efficient. I will give the customer 3 to 6 options and let them choose what they would like to do. Doing this method gets about a 90% conversion rate on sold jobs. About 60% of customers will choose the middle option, which includes what they called me for plus something extra.

We used to carry lamps, flood, spot, regular (small amount of each) with good markup, even did Christmas lighting. You must always be selling and have your eyes open.

LLSolutions

On Jobs like that I do kind of a sliding scale. Say I want to make $1000 a day, I don't bill at $125 and hour. I do first 2 hours of a service call or half day at $175/ea minimum 2 hours. Same for the second job. Drop down to 150/each for the next 2 hours. You gotta cover the cost of the extra time. You not only had to travel to the second or third job but you also had to bid it twice, take all your tools out twice, clean up twice, talk with the customer twice. Realistically it's more like billing for two 3 hour jobs than having to bill for two 4 hours jobs a t lower rate. I'm also honest with my customers. I'll explain the travel time and setup and in my case I've mostly found that people understand. I'll usually say something like "after 5-6 hours you'll have paid me for the day. Is there anything else electrical that you've wanted done?". If you're doing residential maybe they grab another ceiling fan, commercial maybe you ask them the last time they changed the batteries in their exit lights. I've had half days turn into 2 and 3 days. If you're making less money on two half day jobs than one 1 day job then you have to adjust your rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.